2018 - Current: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave+ Shades & Bali Autoview Z-wave+ Shades

Have you found a good way of grouping shades together in the new app and without groovy? Since Shady no longer works, I lost my groupings. The new app only has groups for lights and cameras.

Luckily, Google assistant continues to open/close all the shades in one room, but I don’t have 1 button to control all of them anymore.

Until an edge driver is made, I don’t think so. I am using habitat personally. Switched when my ST hub died forcing me to add and setup everything again.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your hub, may it rest in peace:)

Samsung has a stock Edge driver - “Z-Wave Window Treatment” that works with the shades now. When I re-added one of the shades it started using the new driver. I’m waiting on ST to migrate the rest of them auto-magically because I don’t want to remove and re-add all of them manually.

There’s also a stock Edge driver for the remotes, but it only has the battery indicator, no button actions.

The current setup works pretty well, the only thing missing is groups. Thanks!

I’ll look into the documentation for creating edge drivers and apps when I get some free time in Feb and I’ll see if I can set something up.

1 Like

This would of course be solved if Smarththings just implemented grouping of devices with shared capabilities… But I digress.

The original implementation of Shady was basically a hack of the Zwave Shade DTH. The author implemented a way to store which shades were targets and then in the parts where the blind commands (up/dn/preset/stop) actually happened they spammed all the devices with the commands and aggrigated the result. It wasnt complicated.

Because I haven’t written any EDGE code - I don’t know if EDGE supports automating other devices inside a given driver - if not - you’re out of luck.

1 Like

I personally haven’t touched the new edge implementation or looked at the documentation at all; been just checking the forums from time to time and that’s been it since my hub died. My parents have a hub and I am just praying they don’t have issues as groovy devices drivers are switched over to edge.

There’s probably a workaround of some kind possible. Will update in feb.

This is a rule to control multiple shades from one virtual dimmer. Tested using Bali shades with the standard Z-Wave Window Treatment edge driver and a couple of my shades. It runs local. I imagine you could put as many shades in there as you’d like. It’d be easy enough to do a seperate rule for each room/group of shades.

{
  "if": {
    "changes": {
      "operand": {
        "device": {
          "devices": [
            "Dimmer Device-ID"
          ],
          "component": "main",
          "capability": "switchLevel",
          "attribute": "level"
        }
      }
    },
    "then": [
      {
        "command": {
            "Shade 1 Device-ID",
            "Shade 2 Device-ID"
          ],
          "commands": [
            {
              "capability": "windowShadeLevel",
              "command": "setShadeLevel",
              "arguments": [
                {
                  "device": {
                      "Dimmer Device-ID"
                    ],
                    "capability": "switchLevel",
                    "attribute": "level"
                  }
                }
              ]
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    ]
  }
}
2 Likes

That was going to be my fallback suggestion.

Just spoke with one who knows these things, Edge drivers are sandboxed like I’d suspected so they can’t automate one another. The old approach won’t work. You CAN however theoretically write a single bespoke driver just for grouping shades, but all shades you wanted to group would have to use that same driver - so it can operate inside its own memory space

1 Like

I understand why they do that, but, also unfortunate.

I’ve noticed that all my remotes tend to lose battery quickly. Battery-wise, I have noticed that whenever I put a new CR2430 in, the % seems never higher than like 60% or so. I have used a couple different ones and primarily the Toshiba ones (these: Amazon.com). I find it odd that every new battery over multiple batches never seem to ever show 100% (sometimes 40-ish%, on a good day 60-ish%). I’ve also used the Energizer ones.

One datapoint I have is that while all shades I have are linked to ST, I have one remote that controls a single roller shade, and that remote is not a ST device - and that remote never seems to go dead (might be several years!). All the other shades and remotes are either grouped or single devices, but those remotes all drain their batteries over a 3-4 month period it seems.

Also, I have the issue with both the single remote (the smallest one) or the group remote (the medium one with the home button) but I don’t have any of the premium remotes (the longer, multi-shade remote) - so I can only say it is a problem with the two smaller remotes.

Considering I don’t use the remotes that frequently I am wondering what others might have done. Although I find the new battery reporting as 60% to be suspicious, I am not sure if that is the whole story since the one remote without issues isn’t a ST Z-wave device and thus doesn’t use any battery reporting status to ST.

Has anyone found a CR2430 brand that reports at 100% when new, and lasts?

Can we exclude the remote from ST without affecting its communication with individual or group shades? If not, is there a better / different Edge driver - the default is “Z-wave Button” but I see ST also has “Z-wave Switch” as an alternate?

Yes, the remote doesn’t have to be in smartthings to work, it uses a direct association to the blind(s).

I noticed the same issue with the small remoted. I ended up taking the batteries out and using ST to control the shades… I’ve been using Energizer batteries off eBay (they seem authentic). I might try removing them from ST and just pairing them to the shades as see if they last longer.

@LLwarrenP @neod192 Any logs in ST showing unnecessary pinging/messaging with the remote?

@LLwarrenP @mrfitz98 The remote can’t be paired directly to the shades if the shades are within the ST network last I checked. When the shade is paired to ST, it’s within the ST Z-wave network and for the remote to work, it needs to be within the network.

1 Like

Not that I’ve seen, but I don’t review the logs unless something really weird is happening. Last time I put a battery in was because I had to adjust the min and max limits on a few shades. With a full battery and using it for about half an hour on different shades (I kept moving the battery between remotes), the level dropped to half or so.

Sadly, the ST IDE no longer lets you take logs as that was one of the first features they removed in the transition and in the app it never shows anything even when you are actually doing something…not sure if the new CLI has anything like the IDE live logging or not. I could reconnect my Z-Wave ToolBox device as I think it might but it has been a while.

Honestly, I’m not sure about that. As I mentioned in my original post, I have a lone roller shade that is connected to ST but the remote isn’t - or at least it has never been shown as a ST device anywhere. Whatever it is, I haven’t replaced that shade’s remote battery in years!

Ironically, what I do like about having the remote as a device in ST is that it tells me when the battery is low! Maybe the battery is draining so it can tell me when it’s drained. :expressionless:

I’ll have to check. I don’t think I’ve touched my remotes in 3 or 4 years at this point.

So, that does happen where remotes added just don’t show up. It’s happened to me enough time while using ST that I know it’s an issue.

The shades themselves can only be in one network at a time.

1 Like

True. And that precludes them from communicating with any device NOT on the same ZWave network. Otherwise this would be a horrible security issue.

Your remote joined at one time its just not showing up.

That could be but I wonder why the battery on that shade never dies. I assumed it was because it was not being polled or something similar. Honestly I have no other explanation that I can come up with for the exceptional battery life.

Bought from same order as most of the others that drain every couple months, mounted within 10’ of the others, some are grouped, some are standalone. I even replaced one of the others with a group remote but the battery life is still basically the same. Truly bizzare.

1 Like

The promised update is unfortunately delayed by a couple of weeks. Unfortunate last min delays, that said we are expecting new product launches soon; made for zebrablinds.com and zebrablinds.ca fully supported by us.

1 Like