Rule Builder iOS app

SmartThings has never been smarter.

We’re pleased to announce SmartRules is now available to download!

SmartRules lets you easily create rules for SmartThings, so you can finally make your smart home smart! No more struggling to search through the published SmartApps to find something that meets your needs, or worse yet, trying to write the code yourself. With SmartRules, you just specify what should happen, when, and it does the rest.

Want to turn on a light when motion is detected outside, it’s after sunset and you’re not home? No problem!

Want to unlock the door when you arrive home, but only if there’s a leak in your basement? Strange, but you can do it!

Define a trigger, set some conditions, and specify the actions to take. Your devices are all organized and easy to work with.

We’ve got two flavors of the app. The full, unlimited version and the free lite version which allows you to add a single rule so you can kick the tires.

Download SmartRules

Download SmartRules Lite
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smartrules-lite/id965760672?ls=1&mt=8

We hope you enjoy the app as much as we have. It’s a real joy to finally have a legit rules engine for SmartThings.

16 Likes

I downloaded the light version. It would be nice if there was a rule based on luminance.

1 Like

Downloaded the full version and the lite. Both crash when authorizing devices

Luminance is also on the list. So far the top requested features for the next update are:

• Temperature
  • Luminance
  • Dimmers
  • Delay

We’ll plan on making regular updates until we support all of the official SmartThings capabilities.

1 Like

Hi Ryan, Can you give me any details about what is happening? Do you see anything useful in the logs?

Please try logging out in the app, then uninstalling the app, then from the SmartThings app, uninstall the “SmartRules” SmartApp. Now that everything is gone, try reinstalling and let me know if you still see the issue. You can send discuss details via http://smartrulesapp.com/support.php and I’ll get back to you via email.

Obycode:Could you add the humidity feature at next update also…?

I’ll add it to the list.

This is great! A few features I’d like to see:

• Be able to select which button on my Minimote (my remote has 4 buttons, right now I can only select the entire remote)
  • Toggle, in addition to on and off switches. I want my remote to be able to toggle on/off switches.

Awesome work. I look forward to migrating everything over to this.

Looks good, i’ll try it soon!

1 Like

Thanks Greg!

I’ll have to look into this. I’m not familiar with how the Minimote interacts with ST. This one may need to wait until there is a proper capability defined for these type of multi-button remotes. I’ll add it to the wish list though.

Sure, this is easy. I’ll make sure this is in the next update.

Looks like a great start - unfortunately I am having crashes.

I logged in smoothly and started my first rule. I pressed “Select,Sunrise/Sunset, Sunrise” and the App crashed. It does this every time for Sunrise/Sunset, and also For Time. Selecting Presence, or Motion Sensor doesn’t cause the initial crash and the screen returns with further options for time constraints and actions. However when I select something like presence and try to constrain the time I also get crashes. Anything time related seems to have an issue.

I see nothing at all in my logs when I do this

Let me know if I can supply more info - this App is very interesting and I know from bitter experience no matter how many times you test, those damned users will find a way to break it :smile:

BTW, running IOS8.2 on an iPhone 6.

Thanks for the info Andrew. I’ll look into this crash for you. Time and sunrise/sunset work for me and others on iPhone 6 with 8.2, so something strange must be going on here. I’ll keep in touch and let you know if I need any more info from you. Thanks.

1 Like

If you look at the button controller smart app, that should give you a good starting place.

2 Likes

I set up a simple rule to try the app out.

If I try to change the trigger (by using the minus instead of just tapping on the trigger) while an action is still present the app crashes.

If you minus the action you can then minus the trigger without a crash.

Certainly tapping on the trigger to change it is just fine, just thought I should report the crash.

1 Like

+1 on dimmers for sure. until then its going to be weird to use 2 apps to set up rules.

What about support for momentary switches? My garage door uses a momentary switch device so if i wanted open/close rules for my garage door.

2 Likes

@obycode. Is it possible to use multiple locations? Having events at a location trigger actions at a second location?

I created a couple rules and they don’t seem to be firing. I setup a light to turn on/off based on motion triggers, but doesn’t seem to do anything after I save the rule.

Do you see anything in your log when the rule should trigger? https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs

+2 for Dimmers!

And, then a time-out. For example, so I can set a rule for a light to turn on based on some trigger, but then turn off after 5 minutes.