Zwave security message popup (Switching from Wink to SmartThings)

So I have noticed that as I move devices from Wink to SmartThings I get this popup when adding certain devices. Any ideas or thoughts on what’s causing this to pop up. This is the hub I am using " GP-U999SJVLGDA 3rd Generation SmartThings Hub"

1 Like

It shouldn’t be an issue. About two years ago, the newest Z wave devices adopted a new security protocol, “S2.“ Older devices don’t use it. It’s a requirement now that when a hub is capable of supporting the newest security protocol that it notify users if they are adding something to their system which is using the older protocol. But to be honest for a typical residential system it doesn’t make any difference anyway. And you can use devices of both levels on the same network.

The only time you might run into an issue is if you wanted to set up zwave direct association between two devices of two different security levels, but that’s not common.

So it’s just an informational message that you don’t have the absolute latest and greatest device models. But it shouldn’t affect every day usage. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What your hub firmware version and how did you pair the device? If you want to pair the device using S2, then you should use the Generic Z-Wave device option in the ST new app otherwise it default to S0 security like JD mentioned.

1 Like