Zooz Zen31 for closet lighting control with different scenes on different schedules?

First time here. Searched but did not find a similar scenario.

I’m hoping to use a smart switch (GE or Zooz) to turn standard ceiling lights on/off but also control LED strip above the crown molding in our closet. I would like:

1. LED strip to be full bright when the light switch is flipped on and turn off when the switch is flipped off. There’s nothing challenging about that.

2. Is it possible to add an automation that happens after sunset so that the LED strip is still full bright when the switch is flipped on and dims to about 20% when the switch is flipped off?

3. Lastly, could it be set to 100% bright white during the day and maybe 20% amber (If I go with RGBW LED strip) after sunset?

Thanks in advance!

This is an automations question, and the short answer is that sure, you can do it by using scenes, but you may have to set up a separate automation for each of the different timeframes if you are just using the standard official features. Alternatively, you could use some of the more advanced Rules creators like web core or the rules API and do it all in one rule, but there’s no real advantage to that except it might make future maintenance easier to keep track of.

The reason this will work is because the device which is doing different behaviors is the LED strip. It would be more complicated with The regular overhead light because those are normally required to act as a dumb switch as well. But here you are just going to have the LED controller perform based on a rule about what to do when the switch goes on or off, and you can definitely filter those by time of day. :sunglasses:

(BTW, I moved this from the “capabilities“ section of the forum because that has to do with programmers creating new device handlers, not with your question.)

Thank you for the answer. Now just need to find a good LED strip that has a warm set of white lights and decent RGB compatibility.

1 Like

I have several of the ZEN31 units and after several trials I use these strips exclusively --> https://www.amazon.com/BTF-LIGHTING-2700K-3000K-Colors-Multi-Colored-Non-Waterproof/dp/B07G48K7C1?ref_=ast_sto_dp

There are some choices in LED configurations, ingress protection, as well as 12V or 24V power options, which the ZEN31 can handle as well. Overall been very happy with their product.

1 Like