ZigBee Devices stay in TURNING ON mode and never turn on

What device is it? Is there a way to kill power or reboot it?

I had a buddy with a bunch of zwave switches not working, pulling the airgap for a minute allowed to reconnect.

They are all wall outlets plugged into normal household outlets on Zigbee. As of this evening all Zigbee devices have stopped working. I don’t think there’s anything I can do with these smart outlets except for to pull them from the plug wait and plug them back in and see if they reconnect. Other than that I guess I’m removing them from all of their smart apps and then smart things and then re-adding them all. More to come.

OK, a couple of questions.

You probably already did all this, but just to be sure…

When you did the “hard reboot” did you unplug the smart things hub, including removing the batteries if it has any, but leave all of the other Zigbee devices powered on? The devices won’t resynch if they are also off power while the Coordinator is off power. And if you leave the batteries in the hub, you won’t resynch either.

Second, have you checked The IDE to make sure that the zigbee radio is in fact online? If it’s not, you will need to contact support, there won’t be anything you can do from your side. The entry should look mostly like this:

Values may be a little different, but all of the ones that refer to the zigbee radio and say “true” on mine should also be true On yours.

This is also very similar to the problem I am having. Multiple Smarttings power controllers, all ZigBee, plugged into standard household wall sockets. The ZigBee radio is obviously working since it can command other ST power controllers… but just not these. Did a hard reboot of the hub last night – and no joy in fixing things.

Next step I guess is to do the remove from ST app process, and reinstall the devices. Which is a royal PITA since to do this right, you need to pull the controllers out of the sockets to unpower them, which involves crawling under desks and behind couches.

If they are plugged in outlets you can unplug them and plug them back in. One trick I have found is if you have ST in discovering new devices while you reboot them it will re-add them behind the scenes. Not sure if it really works or a placebo effect, but I still do it.

I also had to reboot my hub this afternoon, I had issues adding new zigbee devices. Once reboot was done I was able to add them no problem.

That doesn’t mean the next door neighbor didn’t recently install the mother of all extenders to screw with your mesh. Been there done that. Have you actually surveyed your home for wifi channel interference?

Here’s what I have,

My Hub is v1, so no batteries. When I unplugged the power (the USB), I left it of for 30 minutes and left the Zigbee devices plugged in. No luck. I had the rest of my Zigbee outlets drop off today. Now all are stuck in the Turning On or Turning Off mode.

All of my Zigbee devices are these: https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/samsung-smartthings-outlet

The thing is, I don’t have a “true” statement for either Zigbee or Zwave, but ZWave works (my Hub is v1).

The rename didn’t work. :frowning:

You know what, I just realized that I have the same problem with my zwave switches. If I try to turn them on from the app they stay on ‘turning on’ but nothing happens. I don’t use the mobile app. All my automations are working fine. It might not be your zigbee, but the mobile app.

1 Like

My automation/Routines don’t even turn them on.

That’s a good point–if you send up a scheduled event with the same end device, does that work?

In other words, is the breakdown between the hub and the device? Or in communications elsewhere in the platform?

I have also dis-joined one of my Zigbee outlets from the network and deleted it, and now it cannot be found. George is getting frustrated!

Routines do not work with Zigbee either. I also have a scheduled event called Ready For Nighttime where 15 minutes before sunset all of my light turn on. Tonight everything turned on as expected, except the Zigbee outlets. That’s when I noticed that all 6 of my Zigbee devices no longer work at all. Not through the app, Routines, or scheduled events.

Well, I’m out of ideas. :scream: I had the same issues back in March, never did figure it out.

Let us know if you find anything that helps.

1 Like

Argh. Your problem, Rono, sounds exactly like mine. I just did a 15 min power cycle on my v1 hub, tried renaming outlets that are ignoring commands… Not working. I occasionally have luck if I leave an outlet unplugged for a day then put it back, but they just drop off again. Driving me mad.

Very sudden, too… Things have been working pretty reliably here for almost 2 years now - stuff started going south about 2 months ago with a couple outlets acting funny, then rapidly worse in the last week and a half. I haven’t changed anything about our wifi, setup or routines in months.

Just emailed support.

1 Like

I’m going to make a Support ticket as well today. It takes days for them to get back though.

Very odd problem you have phae - just like mine. My Zigbees started dropping off, and then yesterday, they all dropped off. Nothing has worked (to summarize). I tried the v1 15 min power cycle, renaming, pulling the outlets, deleting an outlet to see if I can re-add it (and now I can’t as ST’s doesn’t see it at all).

Now. Let’s get really weird. This morning when I got up I tried our Master Bedroom night lamp plugged into a Zigbee outlet in the middle of the mesh, and guess what? It works, but none of the others do.

I’m about to lose my mind as I rely on this automation as I work at night and my wife and daughters at at home at night with my mom (who also lives with us). It’s only frustrating because we have lived with, and grown accustomed to, the automation and ease of ST’s in our home.

I’m open to other ideas as well. Even setting fire to all my Zigbee devices.

I really appreciate your help. I will update this thread until an answer or resolution is found.

If only Support monitored these forums.

Hah. Don’t tempt me on the fire.

Will do the same with updates. The pattern is too similar to be user error.

1 Like

Unplugging them and replugging them in doesn’t help. I’ve done that multiple times.

You have to through the hassle of removing the device, and all of the links to smartapps. Which is a pain in itself, since you have to into each app and redo it. And if you just remove the device from the app, it won’t let you save it or delte the app. You have to link it to another device.

Now the $$## POS mobile app won’t reconnect to the ZigBee power controllers. So far I’m 1 out of 3 in fixing things…

Same issue. I removed one device from all Smart Apps, then removed the device. Now the app will not see the Zigbee device and re-add it. I am beyond frustrated. I’m send a detailed email to Support, but even their response times have gone from hours to days. As someone who runs a help desk… it’s a bit ridiculous.