Zigbee devices randomly going offline consistently in the middle of the night

Well, I left the logging going last night, and nothing went offline last night, AFAICT. Go figure. But it was fine a week ago on Friday night and Saturday morning. We’ll see what happens tonight.

1 Like

I love these issues. It’s like a mission to find what’s causing it. It’s not even my issue and I’m curious as to what/who the offender is. :grinning:

If you turn off all the wifi connected devices (tvs, phones, tablets, laptop, iPod) we talked about prior to 2am tonight/tomorrow and if it doesn’t happen then you can almost be assured its network traffic from a device. If it does happen, then it’s something within ST.

I guess I could just disable my wifi completely at the router. I’ve got too many devices to turn them all off, like doorbells, thermostats, beds, printers, etc. But I guess I really need to make no changes tonight, and see if the issue really does come back tonight. Then I will know its something outside my control, right?

Well, as best I can tell, everything stayed online last night. So I guess one of these may have fixed it:

1. Disabling the device health check
  2. Running the live logging all night(doubt it)
  3. Some external network interference stopped that I had no control over.

There’s also this possibility… I came in late last night, like around 1 am. Maybe if the system sees some activity late at night, it keeps the sensors awake and from going offline?

I doubt it, but anything is a possibility. So for now leave things alone. Don’t make any other changes in your environment, none, and see what happens over the next couple of days.

Did you shut off the 2.4ghz band? You mentioned you could do it. If the problem occurs again, I would shut off the specific devices I mentioned (tvs, all phones, all laptops, iPods) not thermostats or anything like that. Devices that could be on 2.4ghz that could be doing some regularly scheduled download, scan, update during those hours.

Well, another night/morning has passed, without any devices showing up as offline overnight. I suspect that disabling the health check may have cleared this up? What exactly does health check do? Or are the devices still going offline, and just not being reported as offline, because the health check is disabled? I really don’t want to have to wake up at 2:30 AM in the morning to try a door and see…

Only way to know that the devices are actually still working is to wake up early, have some coffee and make sure that they are indeed working at that hour. I personally think that device health works great for some devices, but hampers others as it is still a work in progress. I know I had someone yesterday with Lightify bulbs, turn their device health off and the devices immediately became responsive.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/214529303-Device-Health

I am a new user for all of a couple of weeks and wanted to share my experience with this problem. I have been experiencing issues with devices going off line since initial install. Initially it was three or four and then all devices starting going off line.

I first rebuilt the system completely by powering off and removing the batteries. This seem to get everything back but only for a day.

I had my ST linked to Harmony because i have some VARILIGHT V-Pro Eclique2 Intelligent Dimmers that were controlled by the Harmony. I noticed that the ST devices often dropped off line during the time I was using my home theatre system in the evening. I removed the link between Harmony from ST and this did not cure the problem.

My Television is a Samsung with the external Box SEK3500 which all the HDMI connectors etc. My ST hub was sitting on top of the SEK3500 and I relocated it. So that it is at least a foot away from everything else.

I am please to report I have now experienced zero problems for more than 48 Hours.

I am confident this has solved my problem. I am now very pleased with my system and have changed my opinion of the system completely. I was about ready to throw it out.

I hope this experience helps someone else.

I am a retired Engineer and hence used to systematically testing and eliminating things that could be causing problems.