Zigbee 3.0 repeater

I currently have an Aurora AOne Hub (soon moving to Smarthings Hub v3 when prices come down again) and several dimmers, LED controls and power relays.
My latest addition which is an RGBWX controller and LED strip is working but keeps losing connection from the hub. I think that I perhaps therefore need to install some repeaters.
I know that Aurora sell a Zigbee smart plugs but these take up usable sockets and are expensive just to utilise as a repeater. I also want to install them in places where there are no sockets and have them hard wired in like these Salus repeaters. I believe Aurora use Zigbee 3.0 as their Zigbee Standard??
Can anyone recommend a hard wired Zigbee repeater which works with SmartThings and therefore presumably with Aurora?
I have also seen these Tuya Smart Zigbee repeaters but have no idea if they work. Similarly these Ikea Tradfri Repeaters which although plug in are very competitively priced if they work.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fozzie

What region are you in? In the us, the jasco outlets/switches are 3.0. I have one of each and they’re very fast and solid repeaters.

Hi saosinx88.
I’m in the UK so not able to easily access Jasco appliances.
Fozzie

1 Like

You don’t need single purpose devices. Most mains powered Zigbee 3.0 devices will also work to repeat signals and do just as good a job as the single purpose ones. ( The exception is the Sengled brand, who have chosen not to make their devices act as repeaters.) So you can expand your search to any zigbee 3.0 in line relay that works with smartthings.

Or for a plug-in pocketsocket, the IKEA are very popular because they are inexpensive and work well as repeaters.

Innr are also good plug ins.

If you want one to wire inline, sonoff makes both Wi-Fi and zigbee devices which are very popular in the community. For your purposes, you would want the Zigbee model.

There are many different brands of these available, but personally I always stick with the ones that have good safety certifications, particularly for things which will be wired into the mains.

Also check the load specifications, as these vary quite a bit, and you want to make sure it can handle the circuit branch you are wiring it into. but you should have several choices. :sunglasses:

Thanks again JDRoberts.
I have a very long rangy bungalow and unfortunately all existing Zigbee devices including the Aurora AOne hub are at one end. When I first set things up Aurora sent me a couple of plugs to try and extend the range which has worked to an extent but the new LED strip and controller are at the other far end of the bungalow and although working are very laggy (you have to tap the app several times or tell Alexa twice before it changes) and keep dropping off the network.
I also want to install a Zigbee relay as a fan over-run in the en-suite but again this is a long way from any exiting device hence the need to have a stand alone repeater.
The good news, now that you have kindly confirmed that the pocket socket works is that IKEA had an offer on for today for the Tradfri socket for ÂŁ8 each so have now ordered two. I just hope they will be recognised by the Aurora AOne hub, if not I will have to wait until I can get my SmartThings Hub in the new year.
Fozzie

1 Like

Also, you may already know this, but Samsung is getting out of the home automation hardware business. They are still going to offer the smartthings cloud, app, and software, but they are depending on other partners to actually build and support the hubs and other Devices.

In the UK, the new partner is Aeotec. Their first offering appears to be identical to the smartthings V3 hub, just with a different brand logo.

So while I myself am not at present recommending that anyone new to the platform spend money on a hub because I’m just not sure where things are going, if you do want one for the UK, this is the one you get:

There will not be any more Samsung branded ones manufactured.

Official announcement:

An Update Regarding our Hardware

(Note that Aeotec also makes a couple of other hubs. The one you want is the one that says “works as a smartthings hub.”)

[quote=“JDRoberts, post:6, topic:215119, full:true”]
Also, you may already know this, but Samsung is getting out of the home automation hardware business. They are still going to offer the smartthings cloud, app, and software, but they are depending on other partners to actually build and support the hubs and other Devices.

In the UK, the new partner is Aeotec. Their first offering appears to be identical to the smartthings V3 hub, just with a different brand logo.

So while I myself am not at present recommending that anyone new to the platform spend money on a hub because I’m just not sure where things are going, if you do want one for the UK, this is the one you get [/quote]
Thank you, yes you informed me in a previous post. Thank you however for the tip on the Aeotec hub :+1: although I am still looking for a second user V3
Fozzie

1 Like

Oops… Just read a review on Amazon that you need a Remote (Steering Device) to register the Pocket Socket to the hub!! Is this correct?
I thought I read somewhere on Hubitat Forum that there was a pin hole where you could insert a paperclip in order to put it in pairing mode??

If you’re referring to the Ikea ones, then you just need to reset them. I usually just grab a toothpick from the kitchen counter and push it in.

1 Like

Does Zigbee 3.0 require a 3.0 repeater?

For example if I would buy a “normal” Zigbee outlet would that work as a repeater for all Zigbee devices?
And the other way around will a 3.0 outlet work as a repeater for “normal” Zigbee devices?

Zigbee 3.0 became the “new normal” about 18 months ago. These days it’s hard to find a smartthings-compatible device that doesn’t use it, as many of the older ones received firmware updates to 3.0. But there may still be a few.

In any case, as long as it’s a Zigbee profile that works with smartthings, whether it’s ZHA, ZLL, or Zigbee 3.0, They should all be able to repeat for each other.

What specific brand/model were you considering?

1 Like

None yet, just a simple good outlet as I don’t have a use for it yet besides be a reapeter.
But I prefer something I can set up local.

As we’ve discussed in other threads, ST is in the middle of a huge transition to its new architecture. Once that is complete, all zigbee devices of any protocol connected directly to a ST/Aeotec hub will be eligible to run locally.

And in any case, even under the old architecture, any Zigbee device that uses a stock DTH should be eligible to run locally now. :sunglasses:

So you should be fine in that regard unless you find one that requires a custom groovy DTH in order to expose some additional features. And in that case, again, it’s not the Zigbee profile that makes the difference, it’s just having to use a custom groovy DTH.

1 Like