Problem connecting more than 27 Aurora lamps

No luck with help from Samsung. Can anyone help me please?

We have connected 27aurora Gu10 A1GUZBRGBW Lamps.
They are seen by the hub and can be fully controlled.
BUT PROBLEM If we add more lamps they are seen by the hub but cannot he controlled at all.
We’re installing loads of Aurora items in this new build house and we want to use a Samsung hub if possible as customer wishes to buy some Samsung appliances as well. C emphasized text
Can you please advise on this!!
We have been struggling for sometime on this.

Looks like these are Zigbee devices. 27 is pretty close to the 32 device limit the V2 hub has (although the V3 hub I thought was 64). If that is the case, you probably need some Zigbee repeaters (mains-powered Zigbee devices that also extend the size of the mesh).

1 Like

Ok. I think it is V3.
I am amateur don’t know where to get these. Is it an amazon job?

If those bulbs are NOT Zigbee repeaters, then as @jlv suggests, Adding some repeaters is a good idea. Most Zigbee smart bulbs are repeaters, but it is up to the manufacturer, and some are not.

the IKEA Tradfri plug in pocketsocket is a good Zigbee repeater, available in many countries, and typically costs less than €12 went bought directly from IKEA.

However, If those bulbs are zigbee repeaters, then something else is going on. :thinking:

Tagging @AndyPrice-Aurora

1 Like

That is a weird one. Our lamps are in fact zigbee repeaters, so whatever is causing the issue it’s not the signal repeating on the lamp. What are the additional lamps you are adding? More of the same?

3 Likes

Yes I am adding all the same lamps. Tried to speak with Aurora rep for our area but he said as it is Samsung hub he couldn’t help me. If you cannot would be good as I’m actually planning about 60 lamps and other stuff in this new build.

1 Like

Hi, I have 18 of these exact bulbs, just wanted to chime in with my experience. I found them (or rather my smartthings zigbee mesh) extremely unreliable until I got my hub in the right place.

By right place, I mean identified which way the internal zigbee radio on my V2 hub points, pointed it at the nearest bulbs, and moved it a lot further away from my wifi router. I also changed my router settings so it wouldn’t “smart switch” between 2.4ghz radio channels with the least interference, I don’t know if that made a difference but I have a theory that it was switching to a channel close to my zigbee radio and interfering with the mesh. I live in a block of flats so there is a lot of neighbours WiFi flying around which could cause the router to switch.

Before I made these changes I had loads of trouble adding new zigbee devices (not any more Aurora bulbs but 6 IKEA tradfri button dimmers). All my bulbs would regularly show as offline (maybe every couple of days) and wouldn’t come back unless I rebooted the hub.

After I did that it was incredibly easy to add those IKEA devices and the lights themselves are way more reliable.

I don’t know if this will help you but I definitely found the position of the hub to be key for zigbee devices (more than I could have ever have anticipated actually!)

1 Like

Thanks for this information. Clearly I have to look at the router. Am away from the house now but I will try this out later.
I’m not really that technical so it will take awhile for me to sort it! Thanks

Paul Mortimer

1 Like

Hi Andy.
Yes they are all the same Aurora Gu10 RGB lamps.
Another guy has said the following but I only half understand what he is saying as I am not that technical. We asked the Aurora guys for help but the regional manage said he couldn’t because it’s on your hub. We’re keen to keep your hub as the core to our system because it’s a very modern new build and we want to buy a smart floor cleaner and three TV’s from the Samsung range.

We have to add about 80 lights and Aurora dimmers etc and I would rather try to use just one hub type. We’re expecting the house to be featured in Grand Designs or Home Building and Renovation magazines in January so we do need to get this sorted.

I have a router plus three# Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR 175.7 x 43.2 mm 2.4-5 GHz 802.11ac Dual-Radio Long Range Access Points in the house.

The other guy says.

Hi, I have 18 of these exact bulbs, just wanted to chime in with my experience. I found them (or rather my smartthings zigbee mesh) extremely unreliable until I got my hub in the right place.

By right place, I mean identified which way the internal zigbee radio on my V2 hub points, pointed it at the nearest bulbs, and moved it a lot further away from my wifi router. I also changed my router settings so it wouldn’t “smart switch” between 2.4ghz radio channels with the least interference, I don’t know if that made a difference but I have a theory that it was switching to a channel close to my zigbee radio and interfering with the mesh. I live in a block of flats so there is a lot of neighbours WiFi flying around which could cause the router to switch.

Before I made these changes I had loads of trouble adding new zigbee devices (not any more Aurora bulbs but 6 IKEA tradfri button dimmers). All my bulbs would regularly show as offline (maybe every couple of days) and wouldn’t come back unless I rebooted the hub.

After I did that it was incredibly easy to add those IKEA devices and the lights themselves are way more reliable.

I don’t know if this will help you but I definitely found the position of the hub to be key for zigbee devices (more than I could have ever have anticipated actually!)

I am not sure the hub location is really the problem as the lamps are all in the same ceiling fitting. All adjacent to each other!

Can you help??

Paul Mortimer

For clarity: @AndyPrice-Aurora works for Aurora, not SmartThings. He is an official company representative who posts in this forum in order to help answer questions about the Aurora products. That’s why I tagged him. :sunglasses:

Your hub is made by Samsung SmartThings. They do not officially monitor this forum: it was set up a number of years ago so that customers could help other customers. for official smartthings support, you need to go through the official channel. But that will first take you to the general Samsung helpdesk, and they don’t always know very much about the smartthings products. They will look things up in a database, and then if they don’t find an answer they may eventually escalate the question to the actual smartthings engineering staff.

There are a few smartthings employees who post here from time to time when they can, but there isn’t anyone officially assigned to do so.

Anyway, hopefully Andy will have some good ideas to help you, I just wanted to clarify that his company does not make the hub.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was a bit confused.
I’m hoping someone can help. As yet a ticket raised through Samsung has been waiting over three weeks. I hope that it will reach the top of the list soon!

Thanks for the help.

Paul Mortimer

1 Like