Z wave switches stopped working

(Brian Engel) #1

I have 2 Zwave switches in my master bedroom that stopped responding. I can see their state just fine but controlling them no longer works. I’ve even reset my hub. The devices just say “adjusting” when I try and change their state.

(John) #2

Have you tried replacing them using the mobile app?

(Brian Engel) #3

The mobile app couldn’t remove them. I had to remove them from the development console. I was then able to re-did them successfully with the mobile app. However it’s the same problem as before. I can’t control them from the mobile app or Alexa.

(John) #4

Don’t remove. Replace. Use the mobile app. Go into the device. Click the gear. Then replace.

FYI, reply to the message so I get notified, otherwise your just posting to your own thread.

(Brian Engel) #5

That seems it might have done it. I’m not home anymore but they are both now responding in the app, so I am assuming that they are turning on and off.

(Brian Engel) #6

Is the replace thing a new feature? I guess I never noticed it before so I don’t really understand how it’s supposed to work or when I should use that feature. Thank you for your help.

This is how Z-Wave works. You must exclude or replace a device or you will be left with floating assigned Z-Wave IDs in the routing table. Since you removed them from IDE, I would guess that is now your case. If you run a Z-Wave repair, it will show unreachable devices. The only way to fix this is to manually create a device in IDE with the Z-Wave ID now unsigned and run a repair, replacing it with a new device. That new device will assume the previous assigned ID. You could then exclude the device to remove the ID from the routing table.

(John) #8

No, it’s not new. It’s been there awhile. It only works for z-wave (there’s another method for zigbee - reset the zigbee device and re-add and it will replace itself).

Replace can be used to replace a defective, or to replace a device with itself (in the event it has quit responding). Depending upon the mesh, one failed device can take out numerous others. I always start closest to the hub and work my way out. I have to do the procedure on a random device maybe once every 4-6 months now (it keeps getting less and less).