Z-Wave and UK Alarm/Security systems

@jelockwood Literally looking into this today and came across this thread.

Is there something wrong with the EnvisaLink 4 method of connecting to these DSC panels? I use Home Assistant for central hub and it has modules for this https://home-assistant.io/components/#alarm

I’m just curious about your comment on their tech being old, I don’t want to buy something that isn’t going to last! However, i also would like to utilise existing wiring so it may be perfect.

I would also like to add more sensors etc, such as door contact, do the DSC panels have this ability?

@Steveuk23
I suspect this Smartthings/ADT pairing is only for the US market. So far ADT UK have made no steps at all with regards to smart systems.

@Sg86
No I do not see anything specially wrong with the Envisilink4 and DSC approach. This is the one I am considering. It is slightly annoying to have to setup an additional server such as a Raspberry Pi. However the reasons I have not done it yet are mainly I intend to do so along side a house renovation project and secondly giving a chance for other systems to potentially enter the UK market.

@jelockwood Ah if that is the only thing holding you back then for me its a no brainer. I already have a server running Home Assistant, this is why i went with open source route over proprietary hub software

No it’s UK only…I’m in the UK

@Steveuk23
Great news. Keep us informed here how things progress.

Is this in-conjunction with existing ADT systems or a new ‘smart’ system? Last time I looked at their UK website their products seemed traditional dumb numeric pad driven systems.

I think at the moment it’s just a “on demand” service that’s linked to the SmartThings devices so in addition to getting notifications from SmartThings to the SHM being tripped you will get a phone call from ADT and if you don’t answer they ring another registered number and other things.
So you don’t use any of their equipment , but I’m just glad that SmartThings are pairing up with someone in the UK so hopefully they having something planned.

Guys not sure yet wether it will be intergratable to st but texacom are bringing out some smart add-on to their elite panels

@frazhd2
Please keep us updated re Texacom especially with any links as they become available.

Will do. I’m hoping it’s released soon

Hi, so I think I’m trying to do the same thing, though yet to purchase anything until I know if it is possible…
I’d like an alarm system that uses ST as it’s brain.

The alarm system should have:

• At least 1 external siren (preferably powered by solar or a good battery, but could be wired). I can’t find anything for this.
  • A keypad of some kind to disarm it (I don’t want to have to rely on a phone). Ideally this would be a smart lock that when unlocked would disarm the system. I think Yale do a lock that works for this.

Thanks, David.

Reviving an old thread.

In general the UK alarm system market is still as bad as it was. The majority of systems are dumb and so ugly you might prefer being robbed.

ADT partner with Samsung Smartthings in the US but here in the UK have a very traditional (dumb) alarm system with the smallest of smarts in that they have an App and webcams - they still will not link to other systems.

DSC have launched a new range called Iotega which looks interesting - http://www.dsc.com/iotega/ it seems to have Z-Wave support - even on the UK model! They have or will have a fancy LCD panel. It is not clear what level of connectivity they allow via Z-Wave. I shall look further at this.

Honeywell have a new Lyric Home Security system which also has a fancy LCD panel and even supports Apple HomeKit! Sadly this is once more only for the US and not us poor neglected UK. See https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/security-alarm-solutions/lyric-security-and-home-control-system

Texacom have if anything gone backwards. :frowning:

@jelockwood thanks for your comment.
I’m currently looking for a UK alarm which can have any kind of connectivity to a home automation system, and it seems that I need to use a Honeywell Vista or a DSC alarm, with an Envisalink 4 board.

• I’ve called loads of Honeywell gold/silver partners to ask for a residential installation, and they all told me that don’t install Honeywell alarms, or, for very few, only install them on commercial properties.
  • I can’t even find one UK installer for DSC alarms.

:sweat:

@Metropolis
I have not tried looking for a Honeywell reseller because they long ago stopped selling the rebadged DSC PowerSeries system and Honeywell have not (yet) started selling the Lyric Security and Home Control system in the UK. In fact Honeywell now seem to have effectively blocked UK access to the US product pages as they now auto-redirect you to the UK site which of course does not list that product.

However I did track down one company in the UK that does seem willing to supply and fit a DSC system. Most resellers seem to have effectively blacklisted the DSC and claim it is no longer adequate to meet UK requirements.

Try these contact details -

Dennis Roe
Complete Fire & Security Solutions Ltd

Telephone: 0845 643 4951
(International or Mobile: +44 2920 619043)
Technical Support: 0845 643 4952
(International or Mobile: +44 2920 617296)
Fax: 0845 643 4953
Secure Email: https://www.cfss.uk.com/contact

Customer Web: www.cfss.uk.com
E-Commerce: www.thesecuritystore.uk.com

Complete Fire & Security Solutions Ltd.
The Security Store
288 North Road
Cardiff CF14 3BN
United Kingdom

Company Reg: 7676776

1 Like

fantastic post @jelockwood - I’ve already checked their website as they sell DSC but I didn’t know that they were also doing the installation !