Z-Wave 2 way switch installation (UK)

Personally don’t see the point in wasting money on multiple “intelegent” switches to control one light/ group of lights, when you can utilise your existing wiring for any possible 2 way switching (retractive push to make, retractive centre off or latching switch). If you want a new switch and there isn’t a local input then yes, but if it’s already a 2 way or 3+ way switch you will have enough cores to do what ever you want from the “master” switch, by “master” I mean the switch that the feed, switch line and neutral or feed and switch line is wired too (It is also possible that you only have a feed or a switch line at your opposite ends of the 2 ways switching but very unlikely in a domestic environment).

1 Like

eh? This is an automation community, isn’t it? Automate everything is the goal isn’t it? Just sayin…

1 Like

Yes, 100% but if your only ever going to use that switch to control one light/ group of lights (even if you want something else to happen when that light is turned on or off during a certain set of rules) then you only need one intelegent switch. The rest can be duplicates of that switch, saving money and time. Trust me I have this discussion with customers all the time :joy:

If you think, okay one day I may want that switch to do something completely different and not control that light at all then yes spend the extra cash; else save it and buy some other kit to automate your place :wink:

Maybe it’s too early on a Sunday… but aren’t you just describing what we were already talking about ? of have I missed the plot somewhere ?

Yes and no I’m talking about the 1st bit, using the fibaro dimmer module and just one of them per light group. Then using “dum” switchs off that, rather than having more intelegent switches. That way the switches will also work locally aswell :smile:

I’m saying the Xiaomi ones are not great and you can’t connect multiple switches too them, so you have to stick them everywhere. Which takes up more space than a “normal” switch and none of it will be local.

1 Like