Xbox One integration

It does look like that at a minimum, you should be able to set up some REST endpoints. But you would probably have to have the app actively running. The second you start watching Netflix or playing a game it would put the process to sleep

So I’ve played with this concept a lot. What I got working, but with huge limitations was an authentication with live.com and then could send commands to the xbox.

However, it isn’t easy, exposes your credentials to live.com to ST cloud and doesn’t support live.com 2 stage authentication (which was a show stopper for me).

Ultimately, the Xbox one NPE (windows 10) might expose some more ways to do this. But the easiest solution is an IR control (cough, wait, no IR control in ST) via something that can do IR.

Is it done yet? The new Windows 10 interface has been out for a few days now… :smiley:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, nothing new. IR is still the best way to go unless you want to expose your live.com creds to the ST cloud.

1 Like

Along your using ir concept, I have been toying with the Anyhome ir blaster to control an Xbox One. The setup is a Virtual switch read by Sharptools in Tasker which uses the Anymotes plugin to send a command to the xbox. As long as the Anymote device is properly aligned it works well.

1 Like

If only Neeo was released from kickstarter, I wouldn’t have this problem… Ugh. The blessing and curse of a kickstarter…

Has anyone tried anything new with this? I’ve been playing around with the possibility of powering on and off the console, as well as getting console state (on/off) from a SmartThings device handler, but haven’t had much luck. I tried packet sniffing to see what the console sends from the Xbox Widows apps when it connects and turns on/off for game streaming, then send something similar using physicalgraph.device.HubAction HTTPGet, but haven’t been able to re-create the results. The code here can supposedly accomplish this with the device IP and Live ID, but I haven’t been able to get it converted from Python to Groovy.

Anyone have thoughts or would be able to assist?

I use a harmony hub as a go-between. Allows on/off & status via smartthings for all my activities. I needed the harmony to control my entertainment center anyway, the incorporation into ST was a bonus.

It appears 24 days ago PAUL BECKETT has gotten XB1 to control ST.
Here is a link to the thread.

Did you menage to get this done? Can you share your results. I was planning to do the same as you. Have you been able to reverse engineer the SmartGlass protocol ?

I’ve started on a solution that doesn’t require IR blasting: https://github.com/jacobrossi/smartthings-xbox

There are several limitations currently:

1. For now, it does require using a computer as a “bridge” because ST doesn’t have a proper sockets API. You run a very lightweight server on any computer on your network (I’m using a Raspberry Pi that was already in use for other HA stuff) and it powers on the Xbox when it gets requests from ST.

2. It can only turn it on, not off. :slight_smile:

3. It does not (yet) indicate the actual power state of the device. So if you power it on/off manually, it’s not reflected in SmartThings.

But so far I have this as a part of a “TV” routine that dims the lights, sets some RGB cabinet lighting to a soft amber color, turns on the fireplace if its cold, and powers on the Xbox (which then turns on the TV and sound system). Pretty excited!

This is my first SmartThings device, so let me know if you have issues. I’m going to attempt to get rid of the need for the “bridge” (fingers crossed, might not be possible) and add power state polling to the device to keep its state in sync with the Xbox.

1 Like

Bookmarked this, I await no bridge if you can do it, good luck!

I have successfully set up The Home Remote on my PC to integrate with ST. I then downloaded the app on my Xbox One and the app crashes every time I try to open it on the Xbox. Anyone else run into this same problem? I’m thinking maybe I should have done the initial integration through the Xbox and not the PC. Thoughts?

I was looking into this today to figure out a way of getting around having to touch the Xbox remote everytime I wanted to turn on the TV (A/V & Cable Box) I found this on GitHub, but idk how comfortable I am with opening port 5050 on straight to my Xbox… Thoughts?

Any comments on opening up Port 5050?

5050 is a generic port. Are you opening it up on your firewall? Any wide open port can be problematic if you are using any type of default username/password on your system. If you open ports, ensure that you have changed any default logins on your router, ST, etc…

hey guys, I have been reading all your info for a while. I am new to automation, and i got a echo plus and a ST hub hoping to voice control my devices. my main priority is to turn on XB!, TV, DirecTV box and receiver. I know once i turn XB1 on it will turn the rest on as well, but how do i turn XB1 on/off with voice control? Do i need to buy a Harmony Hub in addition to ST hub? or can i just Harmony to do this without ST hub? Btw, the echo plus i got has a built in hub. I am not expert in coding but can follow instructions if you guys can help me. I know you guys are experts.
Thanks

Harmony will work with an echo with or without a ST hub. However, echo can only control 1 Harmony hub. I have 2 hubs one of which has an Xbox, that’s my main one. The second I control with voice by telling Alexa to turn on the “switches” in Smartthings that were made when connecting the Harmony hub to ST.

I ended up getting the Harmony Hub and remote on sale at BestBuy for about $70. Once I had that and remove my cable box, I told Xbox to send the turn on signal to my ONKYO receiver. Which in turn tells the my Vizio TV to turn on. It works in the same order to turn off. When I had the cable box I never had much success programming Alexa to change channels through the Hub. My next gial is to get Alexa to properly control the volume and change the source of the ONKYO, but I still want to call it TV.

Alexa change TV to Game or Fire Stick.
Alexa turn the TV volume to …
Alexa turn on the outside speakers
Etc.

That part of the programming was very frustrating.

1 Like