Wrong Battery Status on Monoprice Door/Window Sensor

I am a noob to smart things and just finished configuring my hub with 18 monoprice window/ sensors. I am using On The Way CR123 rechargeable batteries, (this one and this one). I charged all the batteries for several hours until the charger showed solid green light. However, the battery status on some of the sensors reports 27%, 44%, some have no display (it shows two dashes) some say a 100%.

Does any one have any experience with these batteries and sensors? Is it a problem with the batteries? Do I have run some kind of script on the hub? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Rechargeable batteries are generally not recommended for this type of device as they have a very different power consumption curve and you are unlikely to get accurate reporting regardless of the actual status of the battery. You can still use them if you want, but once they are charged to full power, put them on a calendar-based recharge schedule. You won’t be able to rely on the reporting from the device.

We should also note that there can be an additional issue depending on which device handler you are using, some are better at reporting battery pier than others. But you’re still going to have the issue because they are rechargeable batteries.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. 2 Questions:

1. What are some recommended batteries for monoprice sensors? Anything to look out for?

2. Are there any guides for setting up handlers with these sensors that might be better at reporting battery status?

Thanks.

I am also getting horrible battery life on these sensors. I updated the DH and that doesn’t seem to make a difference. I mean, these should last longer than 24hrs or so. Any settings or adjustments I can make?

Thanks!