Works As SmartThings Hub (WASH)

I got this email this morning.

I wonder if this means you can use a 3rd party device i.e. an RPi with a HAT that handles all the protocols?
Or this is only a means for licensing it so other manufactures i.e. (companies that make WAPs) to incorporate SmartThings into their product.

Tagging @SmartThings

WASH is partner companies only. I’m not the guy who would be the first to know, but AFAIK we don’t currently have any actual plans around releasing something for DIYers to self-host.

2 Likes

so what’s new vs 2017?

Not sure, I’m not directly involved with WASH, but it sounds like the topic of the talk is a “What’s New” update.

4 Likes

Sounds like Smartthings Extend… again… to me.

First WASH news in a long time:

Interesting. Here are some more technical details including a photo of the dongle. My guess would be that this is the same dongle Samsung wants to use in some other situations.

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/iot-1.6-configurationguide/page/GUID-FC6C84D0-62F7-4E02-96E5-742403205817.html

Also, way back in 2018 the Lennar smart homes That came with smartthings installed used the commercial ruckus Wi-Fi system, so it’s a long-standing partnership if usually invisible to individual consumers.

Good find! I noticed some newer Ruckus APs have zigbee built in, but also noticed the dongle in their picture. This is the older SmartThings Link from 2019 that does have z-wave (unlike the new Dongle for Samsung TV that is Zigbee only).

1 Like

curiously, it looks like the SmartThings Link only has z-wave alliance approval for Europe :thinking:

Good point.

It’s possible that the documentation is using an old picture.

The first link you posted does mention Matter but does not mention Zigbee or Z wave.

The integration will offer future compatibility with the Matter protocol, creating true interoperability by allowing consumers’ smart home devices to work reliably together.

The link I posted mentions both Zigbee and Zwave, but not Matter. Or Thread.

The Samsung Smart Hub dongle has two radios: Zigbee and Z-Wave.

But both are dated February 2021.

So it might end up being the same dongle as the one for the TVs, no Zwave. It’s really hard to tell. :thinking:

1 Like