[WITHDRAWN] MyQ LiftMaster/Chamberlain

All - need some help here…set up routines to open my garage doors by arrival of myself and my spouse…here is my issue…what happens when we go out together is that both doors open when we get home. Other than presence sensors in each car any other ideas to prevent this?

Also, what is the best way to get them to close? Open/closed sensor timing or is there a logical routine I am not thinking of?

Appreciate your suggestions!

Yeah, that’s one of those cool HA edge cases that make like interesting! :smile:

I usually use the standard garage remote or the wall button to close my garage doors. Automated closings are too dangerous in my opinion.

I did set up a rule that says if either door is open, and someone turns off the master bathroom light, the master bathroom light comes back on. Pretty much guarantees I’ll never go to sleep with the doors open again.

You can create a rule that says when you leave, shut the door, but, again, I’d rather see the door be closed. (But you can set the rule up as a safeguard in case you forget to close it…)

-Todd

I would advise against this. This week at 2 am Smartthings decided that my Wife arrived and disabled the alarm. In your case it would automatically open up the garage door. To prevent this in the future presence updates only happen in Away mode.

I also tried to just use presence sensor to disable the alarm, until once it didn’t work and I opened the door to the siren going off.

While I love the idea of it, I still want to prevent accidental allowing of easy entry in the house. Same with closing.

Now if you still want to do it, you could probably create a routine/smart app the monitors which door you open when you leave (assuming you hit a switch for it) and when you arrive open the same door.

Jason,

Kudos to you for sharing this with all of us! I gotta say that SmartThings really should pay you a commission for this work, because it was this specific thread, and the discussions within it, that convinced me to actually go out and buy the V2 hub, to go along with my 888LM and 823LM (and soon-to-be-installed EcoBee 3)!

Painless installation, and from what I’ve seen so far, excellent performance! A small donation sent your way… thank you again!

Thanks Todd…it seems being a one off is the story of my life! :wink:

I think I might try the presence monitors in the car for the individual opening…I just don’t want the other door to spend cycles when it doesn’t need to.

I 100% agree on the closing…I normally wait to leave until I see the door is closed. I am way too skeptical of anything I don’t witness to believe. :smile:

Have a great day and thanks again for the feedback!

-Christy

Thanks for the feedback…my main concern is stopping both doors from opening when we both arrive at the same time. Not so much the closing features…that would just be a convenience. :smile:

-Christy

I would not use mobile devices, just not reliable enough. But zwave presence sensors for the car will probably do the trick. Wonder what the distance and lag will be.

Hello. I tried to install and when i click the “Done” button it gives me the error “Failed To Save Page: prefListDevices” I am wondering if when they did the update to the app it messed something up. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Matt

Make sure you copy and pasted and published light controller in the device type as well.
https://github.com/copy-ninja/SmartThings_MyQ/blob/master/MyQ.LightController.SmartDevice.groovy

@cvastola I have the same issue I have the programming I believe correct but the problem is like last night we both came home but it sensed my wifes phone first and opened the correct door but then a 30 seconds later it sensed my phone and opened my door. I want to make it setup if 1 of us comes home it opens the appropriate door but if we both come together it opens my wifes because we always take her family vehicle when we are together and I can’t seem to get the code correct.

Can anyone help me to uninstall this SmartApp? I’ve had some trouble with my MyQ hardware and have ended up with several repeated instances of my garage door that I want to clear out. Trying to remove everything related and start over brand new.

I’ve deleted the multiple instances of my garage door from every SmartApp except the MyQ(Connect) smartapp. When I try to delete this app, I get the “An unexpected error occurred.” message.

Think I had this long ago and had to do from ide or a support ticket.

I think the instructions are out of date. The newer version of the app no longer has the “+” item. There is no menu option I can see to add this device from the newer mobile app. This device and the SmartApp show up on the IDE, but not on the phone (for whatever reason, the SmartApp on my phone shows nothing).

Hey sorry for the delayed response…I think our issue is only solved with presence sensors but they have such HORRIBLE reviews. Although most of the reviews are of them used on key chains and not in a vehicle untouched. The other feedback I have seen is that they eat batteries. So I am torn as to what to do! Currently when I know we will be together I just edit the routine so the other door only opens on certain days of the week that aren’t the current day. :wink: So far that’s the only workaround I have figured out. Let me know if you think of something better! Happy Holiday’s!

PS - I never got an email notification that you responded on this thread…I wonder if something is up with the board because I got a notification of the post this morning. :confused:

Hey all,

Thanks to Jason for all his work here.

I’m trying to integrate a Recipe from IFTTT where the door will open when I am close to my home. I found a recipe by “brbeaird” but it wants me to select a switch as my door. The MyQ door isn’t showing up as a switch on the list. Is the device type using this App supposed to show the door as a switch?

Any ideas? Or suggestions on how to incorporate geo-fencing with this SmartApp?

Thanks!
Michael

I thought folks were doing it via a routine?

Not seeing any good feedback with locks and garage doors on presence sensors, not very reliable at this time.

are you using your phone for a presence sensor? You can use geo-fencing natively within the smartthings app to set your location. You then can setup a virtual switch to toggle and then cause something to happen in IFTTT using the Rule Machine SmartApp…

I have been doing the phone as a presence sensor but again how i want it to work is if it senses my phone open my garage door, if it senses my wifes open hers. this works perfect. I also want it if it senses both at the same time open my wifes door this is where i am having problems because it does not sense them at the exact same time, it might be off by 30-90 seconds so it opens both doors.

What about adding a virtual switch that gets set when your house is in a certain mode. You could trigger this mode manually when you and your wife go out together and if the house is in this mode, it will not open your door when you come home.
You could then set it so that when you come home the mode and virtual switch resets.

Another option would be to buy a presence sensor for your car. If you come home, but your car is not away, it will not open your door. (You could set your door to open if either you come home when car is away or if car comes home. That way you still have the convenience of using phone for your presence. )

I am having the same issue…ever find a solution out?