Wiring for Fibaro Single Switch 2 not working

OK, one more thing to try. Go into the Codersaur DTH, save it and republish. I have heard of custom DTH going ‘stale’ and causing odd issues. Never had it myself mind you.

OK done. The Z-Wave repair has been running about half an hour now - no errors displayed on the app. Where in the IDE can I check the status of it?

Click on my hubs then scroll down to List Events

Hmm OK so I can see where the Z-Wave repair started and then the log shows it finished about 14 minutes later (even though my app is still showing a whirring symbol but I’ll ignore that). In between the start and finish it just says “ping” in every column but immediately after the finish event there are 4 entries as follows:

Fibaro Dimmer 2 [14]: Not responding
Z-Wave device [13]: Not responding
Z-Wave device [10]: Not responding
Z-Wave device [0D]: Not responding

When I search my devices list for these IDs:

• 0D shows up in the Zigbee ID column of a Smartthings motion sensor which has a flat battery at the moment so I guess that is explainable if that’s the device it is referring to
  • 10 and 13 I’m not sure - the numbers appear in the IDs of a couple of my evohome TRVs but that could just be a coincidence.
  • "Fibaro Dimmer 2 [14] must be the dimmer I’m trying to include because all the other dimmers in my house are gen 1 modules. (Although I’ve just noticed in the IDE, all my gen 1 dimmers are listed as “Fibaro Dimmer 2” presumably because the DTH I’m using for them is the Dimmer 2)

So on the last one, does this mean the dimmer 2 has been included already but I just can’t see it for some reason?

And how can I check exactly which device the log is referring to when it uses those IDs?

Have you tried creating a device in the IDE with that id? 14?

I just did and it let me create it. Not sure what that means…

Interestingly, I just deleted that manually created device with ID 14 and then turned the power back on to the dimmer 2 I’m trying to add and then re-ran the z-wave repair just to see what appears in the log. For device ID 14 I see the following errors:

“Could not assign new route”
“Could not delete old routes”
“Could not update neighbors”

Just in case it helps at all…?

Z-wave ID show in the Device Network ID column. Can you reconcile all the devices?

Sometimes battery devices do not respond if they are asleep. Maybe run it again but wake them up just after the repair starts. This is not a big issue though as battery devices only attach to the mesh, but do not form a part of it or route like powered ones do. Even so, it looks like your mesh is in a bit of a mess.

What it looks like is that the Dimmer partially joined the mesh. Each time it comes up with a green flash it is saying it connected to the mesh. So if it does this after you think you reset it then you didn’t. Same happened to me a few times. The iffy LED and awkward B button are the only things I don’t like about the Fibaro modules.

After switching on the mains voltage LED indicator will signal Z-Wave network inclusion state with a colour:

• GREEN - device added
  • RED - device not added
  • RED/GREEN ALTERNATELY - Z-Wave error

Try a reset again. then on power on it should show a red flash, not a green one. Once you get this power it off, leave it off and repair the Mesh again.

Hmm no I can’t. There are no devices in my list which simply have a Device Network ID of ‘0D’, ‘10’, ‘13’ or ‘14’.

Thing is, the only battery devices I have are one motion sensor which is zigbee and Honeywell TRVs on my rads which are integrated with Smartthings and use their own protocol so in terms of mesh, I’d have thought these wouldn’t affect a Z-Wave mesh would they?

I’ve just seen in my hub event log “Fibaro Dimmer 2 rejoined” and this entry is after when I put my ST hub in inclusion mode earlier to try again. The ‘Value’ column in the event log says 15 so I’m guessing it’s been given an ID of 15 but as before, it’s not showing up in ST app or IDE.
I’ll try resetting again although I must have done over 10 or 15 times over the past couple of days. I even checked I’m not colour blind and I am selecting the Yellow mode for reset which comes after Purple at the end so it seems to register when I let go of the B button on Yellow and then press again to confirm I want to enter reset mode. Maybe I’ll try removing the dimmer 2 from the wiring at the switch and reconnecting it before trying.

Just another test - sorry I’m putting a lot of info on here but only in the hope something will help! To validate whether the module I’m trying might be faulty I just tried a different dimmer 2 at a different switch. I also bought this one on eBay but different seller but it’s pretty much exactly the same situation. Once wired up, I turned on the power, it then calibrated and turned off the lights and I saw the Green LED. I then did a factory reset but again my ST hub isn’t picking it up even though the hub is literally right next to the module.

I checked my hub events log and there are a number of events which suggest this second dimmer has now been included in the same way as the other one and given an ID of 17. But again, I see nothing in the IDE or ST App.

Can you post a copy of the hub events you describe?

2020-03-26 2:46:11.754 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwStatus ready Z-Wave device configuration finished
2020-03-26 2:46:01.815 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB desc 18 Fibaro Dimmer 2 rejoined
2020-03-26 2:46:01.801 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwStatus device configuration Z-Wave device configuration started
2020-03-26 2:44:57.867 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwStatus device setup Z-Wave device setup started
2020-03-26 2:44:57.786 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwStatus device inclusion Z-Wave device inclusion started
2020-03-26 2:44:50.381 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwStatus include search Z-Wave include search started
2020-03-26 2:44:40.261 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwStatus device configuration Z-Wave device configuration started
2020-03-26 2:44:40.231 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB zwjoin 18 zw:Ls type:1101 mfr:010F prod:0102 model:1000 ver:3.04 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,59,73,22,31,32,71,56,98,7A sec:20,5A,85,26,…
2020-03-26 2:43:57.064 PM GMT
moments ago
HUB ping ping ping
2020-03-26 2:43:24.309 PM GMT
5 minutes ago
HUB zwStatus device setup Z-Wave device setup started
2020-03-26 2:43:24.211 PM GMT
5 minutes ago
HUB zwStatus device inclusion Z-Wave device inclusion started
2020-03-26 2:43:22.621 PM GMT
5 minutes ago
HUB ping ping ping
2020-03-26 2:43:12.484 PM GMT
6 minutes ago
HUB zwStatus include search Z-Wave include search started

This looks like a good join as ID 18. No ID 18 in the IDE? Was the hub in add device more once for all this sequence or more times?

You could try adding a device 18 manually and then setting the DTH to the Codersaur one.

You could try caning your other Dimmers 2s to the embedded (Fibaro Dimmer 2 ZW5) DTH and temporarily deleting the Codersaur one in case that is the issue. I only use the embedded one now

Otherwise I think this might be one for support.

Nope, no ID 18 in the hub. Erm I think I tried it a few times.

Before I try your other suggestions, I noticed after attempting to reset the dimmer 2 that there was an event in the log which said “Err 114: Device is responsive, use exclusion removal process”. So basically it’s unable to do a reset. So I then used the exclusion utility to exclude the dimmer 2, which my ST app confirmed it did and then immediately after that I toggled to the Yellow colour mode to do the reset. This time, I see something I haven’t seen before which is that the Green light flashes, which I presume means it is going through the reset process. Once the flashing Green light ends, it then blinks Red once. I then put ST in add mode and when I triple-click the switch button the lights turn on to full brightness but still nothing in my app.

I checked the hub events and again there was an entry indicating a device had joined with the ID “1C” so I created that device ID manually and assigned it the Codersaur DTH. It then shows in my ST app but says “Sync Pending” and turning it on or off from the app doesn’t do anything. Similarly, turning the light on and off at the switch doesn’t reflect back in the app. This might work but how do I get it to sync?

It’s worked!! I assigned the wrong DTH to the manually created device - I’ve actually got two DTHs in my IDE both called “Fibaro Dimmer 2” but when I looked at the settings for one of my existing lights I had assigned the wrong one. So I changed it and bam, I’ve got control of the lights via the app!

Not seen a hub as ID 18 before should be 01. Sync pending usually mean there is config that has not been downloaded to the device yet.

Sorry, I think this could be one for support. Something is just not right with your inclusion process.

OK so now that I’ve finally got the dimmer 2 to work I managed to test it as a potential replacement for the Single Switch 2 as I don’t have neutral at those switches. Results were:

Rear outdoor lights: 4 x 6W LEDs = 24W - It worked here
Hallway spotlights: 2 x 5W LEDs = 10W - Dimmer calibration returned a Green light but the lights just keep randomly turning on and off. Seems to be the load is too small.
Utility spotlights: 2 x 5W LEDs = 10W - need to test but likely same scenario as hallway lights.
Front outdoor lights: 2 x 6.7W = 13.4W - It worked here
Office lights: 3 x 5W dimmable G9 LEDs = 15W - Dimmer calibration returned a constant Red light which looking at the manual suggests it’s finding the load too small.

I’m going to start a separate thread on the low load lights and how to sort them out although it’s weird that the Dimmer 2 works on the front outdoor lights but not for the office lights even though the load at the former is lower than at the latter! Anyway just wanted to close the loop. Will also start a separate thread on using the Dimmer 2 with a 3 position switch as that doesn’t seem to be working for me.

Also, for anyone reading this in the future having the same issues as me with getting the Dimmer 2 to be added to Smartthings I just wanted to detail how I resolved it.

First things first, as I think @siwilson suggested earlier in the thread, when I thought I was resetting the Dimmer 2 it wasn’t actually resetting. I realised this because after doing what I thought was a reset I checked the hub events log in the IDE and there was an entry on there suggesting it couldn’t exclude the Dimmer 2 as part of the reset and I should use the exclusion utility to force it instead. As a result, the reset process didn’t happen.

So I then excluded the Dimmer 2 using the exclusion utility on the ST app and pressing the B button 3 times. That gave me a message that a device was excluded. I then quickly used the B button to toggle to the Yellow reset mode and activated that. This time the reset worked because the device had already been excluded and also you will know it is going through the reset process because the Green light blinks while it’s happening. Once it ends, the light goes Red for a few seconds and then turns off.

The dimmer 2 is now excluded and reset. I checked my hub events and they confirm that. I then put my ST app in pairing mode and triple clicked the switch but unfortunately still no luck in the app - the search process just goes on endlessly so I ended it after a few minutes wait. However, when I checked my hub events it showed that shortly after I started the inclusion search there were three further entries showing “device setup”, “zw join”, “device configuration” and “ready”. The “zwjoin” entry included the ID that the device had been assigned in the ‘Value’ column. However, there is no device with that ID in my devices list in the IDE. Why this background inclusion is happening without any feedback on the app or adding to IDE I have no idea but I then followed @siwilson’s suggestion to manually create a device via the IDE with the exact same ID and assign it a DTH used by other working and already included Dimmer 2s.

I then saved that and then turned the light on using the switch. As a check, I went into the properties of this manually created device in my IDE and checked it’s events. There I could see the event for when I turned the light on and power stats. This proved the device I manually created is in fact the dimmer 2 at the switch. The device also then appears in my ST app and I can turn it on and off via the app and all is good.

It would be useful if others might ever be able to answer what causes this background inclusion but I hope this is useful to others and thanks all on this thread especially @siwilson for helping me out. I’ve never used the hub events log but it was so useful in tracking what was going on at each step and getting clues for what might be the issue.

Glad you to it working!

@freddyq
I presume you are aware of Fibaro’s bypass for solving the too low loads of some LED lights.