Wiring a switch with one red, white, and black wire

I’ve had quite a time trying to connect this switch to no avail. Maybe someone can help me.

So, I have a switch that has one black (load?, I tested it and it has 120V), one white (neutral?), and one red. This switch and another switch can either be activated to turn on the light they are connected to. I should also mention that it is 5 LED lights.

So far, I can’t seem to wire this to work. I am using a Zoos Z-wave switch that supports traveler wires supposedly. This is the one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074CJ1ZRF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did get a dim light when I connected the red wire to load and made sure the other switch in the house was on. But it’s not even close to full brightness. I assume this is not full voltage, but enough to power the LEDs.

Also, I have a switch that only has one line and one load. I would love to use a Z-wave switch for this as well, but my research shows this isn’t possible without a neutral. I did tie into a neutral I found in the box, but it might be a different circuit, since it didn’t work. It didn’t trip any breakers or GFCI though, if that means anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

what you have is a 3 ways wiring circuit. It’s a little more complicated than just one switch and light so I refer you to this post for more info.

as for your second question about the circuit with no neutral. there are couple of ways to deal with this.
you mentioned about a neutral in the same box but possible not the same circuit and didn’t work. This actually is not true. Neutral will still work even on another circuit. Just that’s it’s against code, overload (fire hazard) and GFCI issue. So stay away for your own good. I would say you need to read a little more about basic home wiring before going further so you can be comfortable dealing with this since HA is an addiction and pretty sure you will change more switches later.
This post has the same problem.

2 Likes

I 100% agree.

I knew very little about home electrical wiring before I got into home automation. But by reading a lot and asking questions on this forum of experts like Ray, I’ve been able to replace several switches and install some relays in ceiling fixtures as well.

Take the time to learn how to use a multimeter so that you know which wire is which. Don’t guess, the colors of the wires may or may not have anything to do with what they are connected to. Create a circuit diagram and share it with others here if you have more questions.

Electrical mains wiring can be dangerous if you mess up.

2 Likes