Some things almost all of us want:
- MJPEG streaming for SmartTiles compatibility
- Works out of the box with either the Generic Camera Device or has its own Device Handler
- Set up or access in ANY reasonable web browser, not just f**king Internet Explorer. Yes, this includes Safari.
- Reliable motion detection
Things some of us want:
- Blue Iris compatibility
- Powered via USB, like the Foscam C1. Gives great flexibility
Some things none of us want:
- manufacturer-only DDNS and cloud recording
- Adobe Flash
- Manufacturer-specific browser plugins
You know, I’m lucky to have gotten temporary hold of an AXIS PTZ215 and it’s just about perfect. It’s an older camera, big, but anyone would be happy with it. Now, that’s got a ~$600 price tag on it even though it’s a 5 year old camera, but find a manual for it to find a great list of capabilities for you guys to emulate.
Not at all sure about the desire for Ethernet or PoE for home cameras.
A final thought: If the Sengled SNAP didn’t do several things on the “don’t want” list above, I would buy at least 2 or 3 of them today. Camera in a spotlight form factor? YES PLEASE!
Seriously, I love that form factor, it’s brilliant, but the manufacturer cloud streaming only kills it for the ST crowd.