Wiki Page showing best Smarthings compatible devices?

Hello,

I get really frustrated with the endless trawl through message boards and conversation threads while I try to discover reasonably priced devices for sale that have suitable drivers available for use with Smartthings.

I spend hours trawling and end up with very little certainty regarding what device to buy.

The Smarthings website could do this but actually displays a very small selection of products that either don’t fit the need are hugely costly or can’t be found for sale.

So, I would like to see a ‘go to’ place, maybe a wiki page on this community site, where I can see a simple table of the ‘best’ devices currently available and supported.

Now I understand that ‘best’ is subjective and that this may be problematic. But as we stand the lack of clarity I think seriously dampens the adoption of open home automation and pushes people into propriety closed solutions with device tie-in.

I would like to look up IKEA Tradfri devices or Xiaomi devices for example , with a link to the current most suitable driver or message threads. If I have a need for UK compatible power relay devices for example then I would like to find proven possible devices in a table without having to search the web and then search the forums to see if it is supported - by the community.

Maybe this already exists. If so please put me out of my misery and let me know where to look.

If this does not exist then do people feel this would be useful and would this communities wiki be a suitable location? It would be necessary for the community to update the page to keep it current.

regards

Michael

( I have an industrial automation background, live in the UK and prefer Zigbee. I am also frustrated by the lack of a suitable function block programming interface for home automation)

You’re not going to get a “best” because different people have different needs and priorities and budgets.

There are two resources that might be helpful.

First the following forum FAQ: which both describes some of the most important features of different device classes (and the reasons why one person might choose a particular model over another) and has links to discussion threads about various device comparisons. (This is a clickable link.)

Second is the community – created wiki. We’ve long hoped that enough community members would contribute that it would become exactly what you have described, with a page for each device with information about it. However, while a lot of people read it, it could still use a lot more contributions. But take a look, you may find some of the things you’re interested in there.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ThingsThatAreSmart_Wiki

One section which is particularly popular is the quick browse lists. These will enable you to very quickly find all the forum threads in this forum on specific topics, including device type handlers by device class, project reports on mailbox notifications, holiday projects, all kinds of things. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

But while the wiki does have a section for discussion of individual devices, it just has never really grown in the way the other sections have. Feel free to add to it, and encourage others to do so as well. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I will check out these sources.

1 Like

In particular, the quick browse lists should make it very easy to find current device type handlers, so that at least should save you some time in the future. :sunglasses: