Whole home Power monitoring?

Does anyone have advice on power consumption monitoring for the whole home? I would like to avoid cloud-based anything if at all possible.

I am just getting started with all of this. I figured I would start with this since, I’m getting the fuse box upgraded to a breaker box and the mainline to the house buried (which also means a new outside meter as well), door locks, and the garage door opener of my new home. When it comes to anything high voltage I am out of my element. So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have figured out that I’ll be going with Fully Kiosk on a Galaxy Tab A7 10.4in Tablet and Home Assistant running on a VM on my server.

This forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ home automation platform, so all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It’s a very busy forum, so it often shows up near the top in general home automation searches at Google, but it is not a general forum.

Since the Samsung product itself is mostly cloud-based, I don’t think we’re really going to be able to help you here. I suggest you ask your question in the Reddit home automation subforum, which is brand agnostic, and people should be able to give you some suggestions there. :sunglasses:

I am using the Smartthings Hub. I was referring non cloud-based for the power monitoring if at all possiable so that there is less delay in the updates but if that’s not an option that’s fine. I will also check out the Reddit link you have pointed to.

1 Like

You can look at Aeotec’s HEM zwave device. There are several discussions in the Community specifically about their devices. I use their gen 1 HEM device.

1 Like

If you want a 100% local Power/Energy monitoring solution, that is also Open Source, take a look at IoTaWatt.com.

I don’t know if anyone has integrated IoTAWatt with SmartThings, yet… however I wrote a fairly simple integration for Hubitat a while ago. It really depends of how you plan on using the data as to whether or not ST integration is even required. I use local instances of InfluxDB and Grafana for data archival and display of the data. It works great!

2 Likes

I use this thing but it is such a joke. I had a previous whole home solution that was not in smartthings but could break out appliance level data. This thing just graphs all usage, and poorly at that.

Curb has a manufacturer-provided ST integration, but it is cloud-based:

There are a few community members who have written about it in the past, so you can search the forum.

There are a couple of other companies providing integrations. You can find them in the app under sensors/energy

I don’t recall seeing much discussion of the others except Aeotec and Curb.

Eyedro is a clamp sensor similar to the Aeotec model. It is cloud based. They have both Ethernet and WiFi models. Communication with SmartThings is cloud to cloud.

I don’t know about the other brands.

1 Like