Which repeater/hop devices connect to... problems

I’ve got a v2 hub with approx 50 zigbee devices, and 4 zigbee repeaters around the house/outbuilding to provide coverage etc.

One of my devices at the front of the house keeps dropping connection, and looking at it I saw it was registering with a repeater I have in the garage at the back of the house. To register with that it is by-passing 3 MUCH closer devices - 2 repeaters and the hub itself, none of which have more than 14 registered devices on each . Hence short of powering off the garage repeater whilst I repair the device at the front of the house, is here anything I can do to make it register with a closer repeaer/the hub so it doesnt keep dropping the comms ?

Turning off the hub for 15m should cause zigbee to update all its routes. Even with that just because there are closer repeating zigbee devices doesn’t mean they are providing a better signal. Interference in general is not so black and white and they’re lots of post on here about it.

2 Likes

will try it thanks

Most likely you don’t have enough repeaters period.

Most non hub devices sold in the typical SmartThings price range will accept 3 to 5 children total. A few will accept up to 8. ( it’s up to each individual manufacturer to decide how many will be supported, and you may just have to write to their support lines to find out for each different model, which can take a while since you’ve got to get to somebody on the engineering staff.)

With what you described, I would add at least four more repeating devices. Until you do, I’m not sure this is a problem that can be solved.

1 Like

See the following recent discussion:

Number of zigbee devices

The Ikea Tradfri plug-in pocket sockets are $10 each when bought directly from IKEA and happened to be particularly good zigbee repeaters when used with SmartThings. I would add a few of those. Then unplug the hub and leave it off power for at least 15 minutes as @sidjohn1 suggested, and let your network rebuild itself when you power iton again. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have also seen some similar issues when one or more repeaters, for whatever reason, has a stronger signal (less shielding?) even though it is physically further away.

1 Like

Think less interference… from Bluetooth to wifi there are a lot of things that will interfere with zigbee as a lot of things use 2.4ghz

1 Like

Thanks all,

I ran the zigbee rebuild from the hub and have a pretty even distribution (by chance)

And the troublesome device is now registered with a far closer repeater, the irony is that the 2 repeaters in the garage outbuildings often have minor comms issues back to the hub but work well enough so it was strange they pared in that manner.

One more question - is there anyway in smartthings IDE to report devices by repeater/hub ? rather than going into each to check ‘next hop’ ? - XCTU is not the most friendly only giving the network ID etc

I just added 5 of the Ikea Tradfri plug-in outlets and placed them strategically around the house. I got these specifically to add more routers to my Zigbee mesh. They paired without a problem (as ZigBee Switch) and all show “zigbeeNodeType: ROUTER”.

I powered off the hub (v2, making sure to take out the batteries) and let it sit off for 30 minutes. I powered it back and waited until all my devices showed up again. I opened every Zigbee device in the IDE to see what route they reported. I’ve got about 29 devices going straight to the hub and the other 25 are mostly talking to one of the 4 Iris/SmartThings Centralite outlets (two devices are routing through GE Link bulbs). Not a single device is routing through the Tradfri outlets.

Is there something else I need to do in order to get these to be Zigbee repeaters?

(edit: I need to wait a day to see the routes change)

If you are looking at routes through IDE… it can take up to 24 hours before the data is displayed. The routing data is only updated once per day.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s right. Thanks for reminding me. Now I remember that from last time I did this.

1 Like