SmartThings Community

What's the consensus on water valves?

water
(Greg) #21

I’ve been very happy with my leaksmart valve. Haven’t had any issues with it after nearly 4 years.

The device tests itself. If you don’t open/close the valve it will automatically do it very briefly to ensure that the valve won’t stick when needed.

Steerpike,

Just a heads up that there are Watercops available with extreme discounts, , I have one of those and I learned later that it has an outdated firmware and results in disconnects from the zwave network. The work around I have employed is nightly power cycle via a scheduled smartplug. Which to date, knock on wood, the watercop rejoins the zwave network after the power cycling. Not ideal. Otherwise the watercop seems pretty beefy.

Watercop I believe is a rebranded Fortrezz.

Otherwise, deployment of leak sensors is a guess, as you can imagine the leak could occur anywhere in your home, hopefully your leak sensors are in the right spot…

Have you tried (and failed) to get the firmware updated? Seems like something you’d want to address! Where do you find the ‘extreme discounts’?

I’m trying to decide which I want more - a shut-off valve or a flow meter … or both. the specific location I’m targeting doesn’t have too much room so I am thinking a combo device would be best.

Yes, leak sensors are a challenge … in each bathroom you have the toilet and the two sink lines, plus the shower controls. Then you have the kitchen, and the fridge, and the hot water heater, and the sprinkler system, and … etc. You could spend a LOT on leak sensors. Going with ‘flow’ is a whole other approach; you have to really understand your home before you can infer too much from flow. I’m currently reading my outdoor (utility) meter every few hours to build a picture of my actual usage. I have a garden irrigation system that can’t be turned off, and I have a whole-house softener that does it’s own ‘regeneration’ event every several days. I’m about to leave for 4 weeks and will be turning off the ‘indoor’ water (at the softener) since that doesn’t affect the irrigation system.