What do I need to do to get ready for Sept 30?

Unfortunately, they do. The hub, your TV, all virtual switches you add, everything counts as a device. I am almost certain this is a UI limitation, but you might be able to circumvent it using @TAustin’s virtual device creator, which might be able to bypass UI limitations. That said, once you exceed the silly 200 limit, if you then want to add a new physical device, you’re stuck trying to find potential workarounds, but ST continues closing any loopholes rather than looking at a way to increase these seemingly arbitrary limits.

To my knowledge (I could be wrong about this), iOS devices do not have that limitation.

Run live logging while opening/closing and while triggering/clearing the tamper alert. The device is probably sending two z-wave commands when opening, and the driver is interpreting one as open and the other as closed.

2 Likes

How is that possible? Doesn’t a second hub force you to use a second account, or can it be in the same account?

:thinking:

Because the drivers are local, I assume since that’s the point of all of this, then 50 might be a hard limit based off the size of the memory of the hub you have.

So, 200 device limit is probably arbitrary. 50 driver limit is probably imposed by the hub.

Yeah this is gonna be interesting

You’ve always been able to have multiple hubs on one account as long as they were in separate “locations.”

In recent years that has changed, and now you can even have multiple hubs in one location, although there are a few potential glitches. @orangebucket has run into a couple of those. :thinking:

Ok, that’s news to me. (Multiple hubs in one location.) That takes some of the sting out.

A few more questions, since I am going to crash course all this over the weekend:

I enrolled my V2 hub pretty easily. When I start to add the beta drivers that ST provides this weekend, is that going to eff me up when the actual migration occurs in a few weeks? (In other words, is this one of those beta programs where you dutifully install beta software, or drivers in this case, and then when the actual release product comes along you have to uninstall the beta drive her to install the released and supported driver?)

Second bonus question, those of you that have been testing out beta drivers not provided by SmartThings, where have you been finding and getting them? Is there a repository from driver authors somewhere? Also I’m assuming those drivers can only be installed via the CLI, is that right?

As always, thanks for the patience and the answers here. Like I said in the original post, I fell asleep at the switch over the last few months and havent been keeping up with everything.

I don’t know if it changes any of the quotas though. I think most of the quotas are set at either the account or the location level, not per hub, although edge drivers may be the exception. Again, @orangebucket has researched this pretty deeply and May know more.

I just recently added a second hub to the same location. It’s works well an no issues but keep in mind that any automations that involve devices from both hubs will be cloud dependent not local.

1 Like

Are you using Alexa/Google Home with that account?

I use Alexa, all the devices from both hubs show up and can be controlled.

1 Like

Alexa ties at the account level, so devices from all hubs from all locations show up on the tied-to-Alexa account. You can’t pick what devices you want to be accessable, although you can disable them on the Alexa side.

1 Like

Thank you - I will do this if I get a few minutes chance tomorrow as today I am immersed in other work, alas. Will get back to you on this.

Can you provide more details, please? Which device fingerprint are you referring to?

I’ve migrated 39 devices to Edge with just 3 awaiting drivers. I’m quite sure now that everything I have will be well-supported by Edge.

I encountered one problem which, I think, would stymie automatic conversion. Four of my devices had mfr/prod/model fingerprints of 0000/0000/0000. I read that this can happen if there’s a Z-Wave collision during the inclusion process. The device type still comes across, so a default device type handler was assigned. But SmartThings doesn’t have enough data to assign the correct Edge driver.

The solution was to exclude/include (maybe more than once) until numbers appeared. In two or three of these cases, exclude/include shifted the device to Edge; in the others I got a valid fingerprint but no Edge driver matches (yet).

There has to be a way for SmartThings to notify people of correctable errors like this, and about unsupported devices. This is the one task that would help people get ready for the Edge migration and that cannot be handled by SmartThings.

So I started looking at my list of devices, and I have about 61 devices that are marked “placeholder.” (All of which show up in the CLI as “VIPER” btw - is that normal?) Following the wisdom of the crowd here, those should be ok. I have another 177 devices that are DTH - either from the manufacturer, custom, or my own. (My own I can deal with, so scratch those.)

Because I’ve come so late to the game, what do folks think is the best course at this point: should I just let the migration happen and then deal with the fallout afterwards, or should I spend the weekend finding drivers for everything, uninstall devices and re-install them?

are they cloud-to-cloud integrations?

it was brought up in a thread from yesterday:

1 Like

read @JDRoberts post below that offers the best practices for the upcoming migration:

Thanks @jkp - the search function in this forum is not as thorough as it could be… this didn’t show up for me when searching for “VIPER”.

I have had that several times when testing new Edge drivers (lots of include/exclude cycles) mostly on certain devices. Leviton Zwave devices did it more than others. Its frustrating as you said, theres no UI indication that it didn’t get a MSR. You’d do the same procedure again, this time holding your mouth right, and it would pickup the fingerprint fine. :man_shrugging: