What do I need to do to get ready for Sept 30?

Yes, unfortunately. but since it’s possible that future virtual switches will have to run on the hub as edge drivers, I suppose that makes sense. again, we are still waiting on a detailed answer for what virtual switch options will be available and whether they will all require a hub or not. :disappointed_relieved:

I previously asked this same question (not sure where) and was told that it wasn’t a hard cap but could result in degraded performance beyond that cap.

I suspect that would really come down to the processing load of the devices involved. A virtual switch would have almost no load, but a device that does a lot of polling would have a higher load. Devices that share a driver (hub-hub integrations, zwave switches, etc.) would also have a lower system cost since they aren’t spinning up a bunch of different drivers.

@philh30 I have exactly 50 drivers running, without any issues. Many of those are testing versions. I might have to consolidate some of them.

Actually, I think that will be the next big step for developers to consolidate multiple drivers in single one. I have realized that many of them are just added fingerprints, based on the same driver, that should be consolidated into one.

Bigger problem is how can that be achieved. Maybe shared GitHub repository.

Some how I missed this. Do I read correctly that as of 10/15 SmartLighting stops working but we have no insight yet on what the replacement is or if there is an automatic migration? I hope I am misunderstanding as that would be awful.

My Honeywell Thermostats show placeholder but they don’t have an edge driver. Probably cause they are linked to SmartThings thru the Honeywell app. It’s concerning because it’s the deprecated app, not the new one. The new one never shows any thermostats installed even though I’m using it to control the thermostats.

Multiple questions there.

Read the official announcement carefully:

September 30, 2022, at 00:00 (PST) we will start migrations of Groovy device DTHs as well as SmartLighting and SevereWeather SmartApps, two of our most popular Smartapps built on Groovy. On October 15th 2022 certain functions of the legacy developer IDE, such as the creation of new DTH’s, Smartapps, and debugging tools will be removed from the SmartThings platform and will no longer be supported. After migrations are complete, this means that devices and automations previously using Groovy will now exclusively operate with our latest hub and cloud technology.

The End of Groovy Has Arrived

A) we don’t have an exact date for when any groovy smartapp will stop working.

B) Smartlighting IS going to be migrated to the new platform, but we have no details as to what that means exactly or whether it will have all of the same features that it does now.

C) they are allowing for the possibility that the smartlighting migration could start as early as September 30th, but again, no specific timeline has been given.

D) they have not said anything one way or the other as to whether the region locks for the new SmartLighting will be the same as the ones for the old.

E) They have not said one way or the other as to whether smartlighting automations will count towards your routines and automations limit.

F) it sounds like it’s possible that we will lose the ability to add more groovy smartapps before our existing Groovy smartapps stop working. That lines up with something @rboy said he and other developers have been told quite a while ago. But again, no details.

——
So there are just a lot of unknowns except that there will be something called smartlighting on the new platform for some people. :thinking:

2 Likes

I have Honeywell thermostats at two locations. They do show as placeholders in the IDE, which I’d expect as they are linked cloud services. But I also have the thermostats displaying in the ST app. I have controls on the thermostat’s device page for temperature, fan mode, mode and an indicator of humidity. Strange that you don’t have the device in the app.

Same here (thru TCC cloud) and mine show both placeholder in the IDE and have tiles in the app.

@JDRoberts - you are correct on this except that the (excellent - I have to say) Edge driver created for me by @philh30 is a replacement of a custom DTH actually (the one for MCOHome MH-S312/4 switches). The ones using a stock Groovy DTH that gave me trouble thus far are:

1. Aeotec Dimmer Switch (lights suddenly flickered, like crazy flickering, because of an unsolicited, unexpected parameter change during the change to Edge driver, fixed manually);

2. My Philio Pan-08 blind motor controllers - these are the worst as they bind themselves to a stock DTH without manual intervention and worked surprisingly well out-of-the-box… yet no Edge driver works for these now.

3. My Vision Security garage door tilt sensor: this one “works”, but keeps reverting to open right after closing (a fraction of a second later), then reverts to closed anywhere between a few minutes to a couple of hours later. Yes - it could be a device issue, maybe I broke it during exclusion/inclusion, but I have no way to know as I only have one of these devices.

I still have more to test, but hopefully I won’t have to add to the above list.

1 Like

Thank you @nayelyz. Notifications and any other communications are good, of course, and appreciated. However I am still disappointed that not all fingerprints covered in the old stock DTHs have been included in the Edge Drivers.

Also, I have seen it stated that if the manufacturer is no longer producing/selling the device, then it would not be added to the Edge Drivers. I don’t actually know whether that is an official ST line, but I do have a specific device that is still being manufactured and still being sold, yet its fingerprint is nowhere to be seen in the Beta drivers.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they do. The hub, your TV, all virtual switches you add, everything counts as a device. I am almost certain this is a UI limitation, but you might be able to circumvent it using @TAustin’s virtual device creator, which might be able to bypass UI limitations. That said, once you exceed the silly 200 limit, if you then want to add a new physical device, you’re stuck trying to find potential workarounds, but ST continues closing any loopholes rather than looking at a way to increase these seemingly arbitrary limits.

To my knowledge (I could be wrong about this), iOS devices do not have that limitation.

Run live logging while opening/closing and while triggering/clearing the tamper alert. The device is probably sending two z-wave commands when opening, and the driver is interpreting one as open and the other as closed.

2 Likes

How is that possible? Doesn’t a second hub force you to use a second account, or can it be in the same account?

:thinking:

Because the drivers are local, I assume since that’s the point of all of this, then 50 might be a hard limit based off the size of the memory of the hub you have.

So, 200 device limit is probably arbitrary. 50 driver limit is probably imposed by the hub.

Yeah this is gonna be interesting

You’ve always been able to have multiple hubs on one account as long as they were in separate “locations.”

In recent years that has changed, and now you can even have multiple hubs in one location, although there are a few potential glitches. @orangebucket has run into a couple of those. :thinking:

Ok, that’s news to me. (Multiple hubs in one location.) That takes some of the sting out.

A few more questions, since I am going to crash course all this over the weekend:

I enrolled my V2 hub pretty easily. When I start to add the beta drivers that ST provides this weekend, is that going to eff me up when the actual migration occurs in a few weeks? (In other words, is this one of those beta programs where you dutifully install beta software, or drivers in this case, and then when the actual release product comes along you have to uninstall the beta drive her to install the released and supported driver?)

Second bonus question, those of you that have been testing out beta drivers not provided by SmartThings, where have you been finding and getting them? Is there a repository from driver authors somewhere? Also I’m assuming those drivers can only be installed via the CLI, is that right?

As always, thanks for the patience and the answers here. Like I said in the original post, I fell asleep at the switch over the last few months and havent been keeping up with everything.

I don’t know if it changes any of the quotas though. I think most of the quotas are set at either the account or the location level, not per hub, although edge drivers may be the exception. Again, @orangebucket has researched this pretty deeply and May know more.

I just recently added a second hub to the same location. It’s works well an no issues but keep in mind that any automations that involve devices from both hubs will be cloud dependent not local.

1 Like

Are you using Alexa/Google Home with that account?