What a mess, samsung! (February 2019)

Nothing… (New app sees hub as a device, right?)

Ok, now I agree things are messed up :slight_smile:

Ok, you are using the same Samsung account to login to IDE, the Classic app and STSC?

Yes I am using one login.
That is why I am hoping to close this account and release all locations, hubs, devices, whatever and start from scratch.
But no way to “close / cancel / deactivate” the account.
If I just set up a new account with different email address, I can use the same hub, right?

Because I tried to reset the hub and the info online are all confusing and conflicting and none worked.
I am afraid setting up a new account without cleaning up the old would mess it up furthermore.

Not really, it is generally tied to the email address.

Ok, one last Hail Mary- have you rebooted all your network equipment?

IDE shows the mac address, and I ARP -a to check the current IP on my LAN and I ping -t to monitor it. The ethernet hardware manufacturer is “Physical Graph Corporation” and I confirmed it is the right IP by temporarily removing and reconnecting the ethernet cable to see it time out temporarily.
My network (DHCP etc) is fine.

My first suggestion would be to contact ST support at this point and determine why the hub is offline. I think this is the best option as they have tools and access to logs that we don’t. But waiting can be frustrating.

But here is a support link showing how to factory reset and hopefully delete a location. But I hesitate if by chance you go through this and lose everything you have already set up and it still does not work.

1 Like

Maybe try plugging it into a different port on the switch or router.

And just what to clarify… did this occur after an account migration or attempting to use the STSC app?

Buy a new hub if I have to, then set a new account with new email address.
If I have to that, I would like to see if jumping ship is a better idea. Anyone heard of Hubitat ?

Hubitat has a big thread
https://community.smartthings.com/t/hubitat-elevation-hub-home-automation-that-is-local/117107

2 Likes

Calling smartthings support to tell them to delete all locations, hubs, devices, smartapp, etc.
If they can’t do it remotel and needing me to be with them or if they can just provide instructions, I will trash this hub and GIVE UP USING SMARTTHINGS.

See if they can figure out why it is offline first. If they can do that, you don’t have to go through the hassle of adding everything back.

1 Like

We spent an hour on the phone with them. That lady was just reading scripts.
Today they are closed.
Fun.

FYI - i was having these same issues and committed to just starting fresh (which has been my entire weekend). i FULLY DELETED MY SAMSUNG ACCOUNT and created a new one with same email address. So Even creating a new account (admittedly under the same email as previously) doesn’t completely reset stuff. With that said, it was still helpful bc at least now the undeletable hub isn’t tied to a location and it’s only visible if i click hubs before narrowing in to my new location - so it’s less annoying.

but still - this is nuts.

Create an account with a different email address using an email alias.

i.e., Gmail, Hotmail, and may others allow you to create a distinct email that uses the same underlying mailbox by just adding a plus sign (or sometimes, dots)… e.g., joe+smartthings@gmail.com

i did something similar, but i think distinct and i can understand why your would work and mine didn’t, even though i foresaw this issue and was trying to get around it . i created it with my icloud email and once it was created, i then changed the address in the account to my gmail. so just fyi to everyone else - that isn’t sufficient to trick it into thinking it’s a new account. got to do what tgauchat suggests and go the alias route.

in any event - i give up. i got everything working again - only thing lingering is the slight annoyance of the dead hub showing up in IDE, and i’m sure not going to do all that yet again just to appease my ocd. killing my weekend this weekend once was enough :slight_smile:

[ps - LOVE action tiles…thank you!!]

1 Like

Thank-you, Roberto! Please do a priceless favor (once things are working and you’ve had a breather!) and give us Ratings + Reviews on Facebook, Google Play Store, and Amazon Appstore.

So, today I called samsung tech support, they called back after 1.5 hrs. Then we went thru everything I have gone thru in the past 2 days, remote-controlling my tablet, repeating the same questions again and again, on hold and on hold, etc. Then he said, hmmm, this is weird. He gave up. That was another hr or so. Then he transferred me to another lady who instructed me to delete the account on account.samsung.com. I COULD HAVE DONE IT MYSELF IN ONE MINUTE!.
Now, old account is deleted. New account is setup with the same email address but different password. When I tried to add the hub (solid green LED, after a reset and firmware update), WELCOME CODE INVALID!! Now I have to email to them to reset. Who knows when they will get to the email ticket. If I call, it will be another half day gone.

And I have a dozen samsung tablets around the house and I need to remove the android samsung account login and re-add the new one.

I NEED TO CHARGE SAMSUNG FOR ALL THIS. MY TIME IS $$$!
Home Automation? How much time does it save me?

1 Like

On the phone with them now… The hub was claimed and to unclaim, they have to escalate the case to the “higher up” to do it. That would take about 2-3 days.

WTF.