WebCoRE installation

I followed this video: webCoRE for SmartThings - A-Z Installation walkthrough - YouTube
But at the end I ended up having a problem. In the newest version of the ST app I can’t find the option to add WebCoRE, does anyone know where I can find it?

To be perfectly honest, if you haven’t used webcore yet, then I wouldn’t try to use it now. It is a Groovy SmartApp and Groovy is set to go away at the end of 2021.

2 Likes

I agree that is probably pointless to start using it at this point. But if you want it, you should find it in The Automations section at the bottom of the screen under Smartapps.

1 Like

I second (third) that advice. Starting webcore on ST now would be rather useless.

1 Like

I sadly and regrettably fourth that advice

Dont listen to them, install WebCoRE. You’ll learn a lot and enjoy it, and have a more complete view of what home automaton can do. These guys have been telling people not to use WebCoRE since 2020 “because Groovy will shut down at some point in 2021”. Now in August, 6 months in, they are saying “Groovy will shut down in late 2021”. With zero new information. In January 2022 they will say “Groovy will shut down any day now”. The reality is they have no idea, as I suspect Samsung haven’t finalised a date yet.

I guess if I point out the fact that it no longer controls many of the non-groovy devices will have no effect … does not control all lutron devices, nest devices, STHM (directly, yes you can use virtual to get around that) and scenes. Sure…go ahead and use it.

Plus there are fewer folks willing to help with it on the Webcore forum so any one is pretty much on their own.

If all has gone well you should see webCoRE listed under a ‘Custom’ subheading as an available SmartApp. So that means you should be able to hit ‘+’ on the Favourites or Automations tab, choose ‘Add SmartApp’, scroll down, and find webCoRE waiting for you.

If you don’t see it listed you might want to compare your installation process with the instructions on https://wiki.webcore.co/ to make sure the bit up to installation in the app is correct. The usual ‘gotcha’ in older instructions and videos is to have you install on https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ rather than the actual servers you need to be on.

As for whether it is a good idea to be installing webCoRE … Just be aware that webCoRE is a legacy app and the obstacles to SmartThings turning off the legacy platform are gradually being eliminated. Also you may find increasing numbers of things that aren’t back compatible with the legacy platform. Unfortunately one thing SmartThings are particularly good at is keeping things under their hats.

1 Like

Thank you all for your responses. I got it fixed, I’ll try to use it for as long as it’s online. Have a great day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would suggest you look up and work with Samsung Automation Studio on either samsungs platform or you can run it at your own home from a Node Red Instance with the pallet loaded. It supports the Smartthings API and will be compatible with allot more then just stuff connected with Smartthings. I use this personally and it does work really well.

The best thing is that since this uses the new Smartthings API it isnt on the way out and is fully supported by Samsung.

1 Like

Is it anywhere as near as powerful as WebCore though? Genuine question…

I’m currently building a house and I just don’t know what to run it with yet - Hubitat (and learn a new system but keep WebCore) or Smartthings (keep Smartthings and learn a new automation system from scratch).

I love WebCore and used it to do some fairly complex stuff involving multiple variables etc. and I’m worried I won’t be able to get close to this type of flexibility with the new system…

Well Node-Red is in some ways much more powerful the Webcore. It is also a system designed to function between different cloud and automation systems.

I use Node-Red with the Samsung Automation Studio and Hubitat pallets. Then I have hubitat as my main system. Smartthing is really a cloud aggregator for me. But node red has a ton of pallets that can interface with a bunch of other services.

The Samsung Automation Studio pallet has been rapidly improving from when i first used it 7-8 months ago. I would expect there may be some stuff still missing, but it has continually getting better.

I’ve been gone awhile, I won’t say losing WebCORE is a surprise to me, but probably a painful truth. I love WebCORE. LED strips light most of my home and without WebCORE fine tuning LEDs with different controllers and differing wall paint colors would have been too difficult.

Even as a simple user, without WebCORE, I will find ST loses a lot of value to me.

Learn it. WebCORE gives you a point of reference for your future decisions in home automation software.

2 Likes