Weather Station Tile does not update

Today I noticed that my Weather station tile is no more updating. (since early in the morning)
When I try to refresh manually, I see this error in the log:

2c321fe7-3a81-4e5c-9100-71d428799d64 12:49:02 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toUpperCase() on null object @line 215 (poll)

2c321fe7-3a81-4e5c-9100-71d428799d64 12:49:02 PM: info WUSTATION: Executing ‘poll’, location: 0Home

I examined the code for the tile, and I see that it is complaining about null zipcode
However, I had never entered a zip code to the tile. It was working fine until today.
I am not able to enter zip code because I live outside US.
The tile (and weather underground) only supports US zip codes for search.

In any case I tried with a US zip code, and I can confirm that it works when the zip code is entered.
However, it does not work (anymore) without a zip code.
How can I solve this issue ?

why has it started ?

Btw, when I change my hub location to somewhere in US, it works without a zip code.
So I assume, previously Smartthings cloud was producing a way to search for my location even when zip code is not entered. But now it does not.

I also tried with a London location. It fails.

So it fails for outside US, not just my location.

They just put in an update for it yesterday to support personal weather stations. Maybe @ady624 can take a look.

1 Like

latitued and logitued normaly works, 3 decimal places works but i think it has to have the - in the west/west.
my area is 53.7,-2.7
38.25,-76.45

1 Like

where shall I enter lat/lon ?

im using an old weather underground app i adapted and its on the setting page, in the post code box.
if its calling getTwcConditions(settings.postcode) the is post code or lat/long

1 Like

also
i have
def hublocation = getTwcLocation(settings.postcode)
log.info “$hublocation”
which give me precise where it is looking
1:50:11 PM: info [location:[adminDistrict:England, adminDistrictCode:null, city:Preston, country:United Kingdom, countryCode:GB, countyId:null, displayName:Penwortham, disputedArea:false, dmaCd:null, dstEnd:2019-10-27T01:00:00+0000, dstStart:2019-03-31T02:00:00+0100, ianaTimeZone:Europe/London, latitude:53.7xx, locId:null, locale:[locale1:Lancashire, locale2:Preston, locale3:Penwortham, locale4:null], locationCategory:null, longitude:-2.6xx, neighborhood:null, placeId:79af3b27fcc91cf97d7d9ed25396d8defd4676fa85674cedf5820886a7bffe43, pollenId:null, postalCode:PR5 5SH, postalKey:PR5 5:GB, pwsId:null, regionalSatellite:eur, tideId:null, type:postal, zoneId:UK009]]

1 Like

thanks. When I enter the lat/lon as you suggest; it updates.
Only in the location name, there is a “null” field.
It says for example “Kadikoy, null TR”
what’s that null ?

and I did not understand your last post.
what do you mean by

def hublocation = getTwcLocation(settings.postcode)
log.info “$hublocation”
which give me precise where it is looking

did you do that to get your lat/lon ? (I know it so I don’t need that)

not sure about the null, if you look at my log example above there is a few 'null’s within the location info
in the code i have a line
def hublocation = getTwcLocation(settings.postcode) [settings.postcode = lat/long]
then a line
log.info “$hublocation” [ which give me all the location details as per the example]

1:50:11 PM: info [location:[adminDistrict:England, adminDistrictCode:null, city:Preston, country:United Kingdom, countryCode:GB, countyId:null, displayName:Penwortham, disputedArea:false, dmaCd:null, dstEnd:2019-10-27T01:00:00+0000, dstStart:2019-03-31T02:00:00+0100, ianaTimeZone:Europe/London, latitude:53.7xx, locId:null, locale:[locale1:Lancashire, locale2:Preston, locale3:Penwortham, locale4:null], locationCategory:null, longitude:-2.6xx, neighborhood:null, placeId:79af3b27fcc91cf97d7d9ed25396d8defd4676fa85674cedf5820886a7bffe43, pollenId:null, postalCode:PR5 5SH, postalKey:PR5 5:GB, pwsId:null, regionalSatellite:eur, tideId:null, type:postal, zoneId:UK009]]

1 Like

ok. so you use a custom tile DTH ?
why ? does it have any advantage over the default ST tile ?

the weatherundreground did actions, ie if raining switch this on, i think the author has updated it himself

1 Like

Check out

2 Likes
1 Like

@RBoy
is it an update to the tile or the updater app ?
shall we wait for the update to be distributed ?

It’s an update to the stock ST Weather Station DTH. It will take effect once ST pushes the changes into production.

2 Likes

What format of longitude/latitude you use instead of zip code? Hot to find it if on maps either in degrees or decimal. Non of classic formats seem to work. Thanks

use google maps, click a point and it should give you the Lat and Long. you can then type it back into google maps as a decial to refine/check it.
format should be LL.lll, -LL.lll … note the comma and the minus

Got it! Thanks Mark. In the google maps there is a space in between LA/LO if you just copy, while in the app setting one has use values without space, just comma in between. Thanks

Is there a means to point the weather DTH to MY specific Weatherstation?

If you’re in the US you can specify your weather station ID in the weather device settings.