Weather API Changes

Thanks @Philippe_Portes…Good points…

So I wonder if @RottenMutt’s SmartThings location has a value of ‘C’ for’ Temperature Scale’ which might explain why in the new Samsung SmartThings App it shows ‘ºC’ for a temperature value where UNITS were not indicated on the sendEvent() and should be null?

I am leaning toward using the SmartThings API getTemperatureScale() in next STAmbientWeather (v3.06) to explicitly define the units of measure for Ambient weather data. The Ambient API reports all data in imperial units, and the user can select metric units on their weather console for display.

In STAmbientWeather, the app would need to dynamically calculate all the weather values in metric units if the getTemperatureScale() returned ‘C’ as well for attributes like wind in KPH, pressure in MMHg and Rain in CM or MM. To add insult to injury, the UNIT does not display in the valueTiles.

:rofl:

1 Like

Thanks so much for this @Brad_ST - it was just what I needed to fix the weather tile in HousePanel.

The weather tile is now happily restored with the icons back and with the new forecast text fields available as an option via the usual Tile Editor use. Here’s what our crappy weather looks like today in Michigan!! LOL.

3 Likes

Fahrenheit

1 Like

I am trying to use SmartWeather to add the ForcastToday text to my ActionTiles. I can get the weather tile that you have. But I just want the ForcastToday text. Is that an api call?

Basicly morning and aft details

def newforcast = getTwcForecast(settings.postcode)
def forcastdetail = "${newforcast.daypart[0].daypartName[0]} - ${newforcast.daypart[0].narrative[0].toString()} \n${newforcast.daypart[0].daypartName[1]} - ${newforcast.daypart[0].narrative[1]}"
sendEvent(name:"UGW_web", value: forcastdetail , displayed:false)

the “UGW_web” is the tile you have set up to dsiplay the text

All SmartThings published SmartApps and device types have been converted to use the new The Weather Company (TWC) API.

Many individuals’ SmartApps continue to use the old Weather Underground (WU) APIs. Although these APIs have have continued to work since the Jan 1, 2019 shutdown, we were informed by The Weather Company that there will be a firm shutdown on Feb 2, 2019. Calls from these individuals’ SmartApps and devices will start failing after the WU shutdown.

To improve the integrations with Personal Weather Stations (PWS), we’ve added a new API to retrieve this data:

def getTwcPwsConditions(stationId)

Return personal weather station data for the specified ID

Example PWS data

Even with this, PWS still doesn’t seem to work in the SmartThings Smart Weather Tile. Are you going to re-implement PWS functionality with Smart Weather Tile?

looks like the update to Smart Weather Tile is in progress

@Automated_House Thanks! Didn’t think to look in the repo.

Works fine for me!

Is there any weather app that works qith bit smartthings apps?.

Ill give it a try. Thanks.

The source code is a zip file. I know how to manually apply the code in the ide but Ima not sure to to use the zip file.

Unzip the file or use the github repository and do an update from repo

Ok i got it setup. Thanks.

Thanks @jkp for pointing to my app. @allison, let me know if you have any issue/questions

Does this mean that the transition is considered complete now? Previously there was an hourly forecast available (and based on the TWC API website, it is available there as well) but there is no way to access that with the new API :cry:

A more granular forecast would be much better to allow for smarter decisions when controlling things…

I tried the adding the repo, but when I try to update from repo, its empty.
I also tried unpacking the zip file and doing an import from the “…groovy” files but that doesn’t work either.

You should go to the post I linked above and post there so the developer can respond to you