Water Flow Meter

Anyone set up or have a Flow Meter on their main going to their house?

I would be interested in this as well. I think there was someone talking about a water valve cutoff switch, which was nice. But, I would like to be able to track how much water I am using as well.

I have the valve and mimolite to do the shutoff valve. I would also like to add the flow meter before the shutoff valve as added security of knowing there is a leak.

Or would just hooking up a arduino shield with an analog input wired to a flowmeter be the way to go?

There’s this:

But it obviously doesn’t help you today, tomorrow, or … a while from now.

Correct, I saw that. Just was seeing if anyone has done something like that already with different equipment.

I am looking at this http://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Cost-Water-Flow-Sensor-and-Ambient-Display/ with an Arduino shield.

Pardon me for bumping an older thread - but it’s still on point.

This looks like an extremely nice and flexible flow meter:

My limitation is the output signal. What would it take to:

• fully read it - so you get a relative gpm?
  • just recognize that there is SOME flow - which is all I really care about - maybe at a set threshhold, with a potentiometer adjustment?
  • recognize there is some flow for a long length of time and/or outside normal allowed times?

So I’m really limited / clueless as to how to hook that into smart things for any kind of meaningful input.

Thoughts?

Carl