Washer/Dryer Notification Project Questions

Gotcha! I’ll keep that in mind then, if my dryer is super stable. Thanks!!

Just for fun I tried this again with an acceleration sensor and with a little more insightful placement, I can sense the difference between the dryer drum is rotating and not rotating. But I also get false alarms from other activities (such as the nearby washer spin mode). So I’ve actually added the logic with my power meter and acceleration sensor together in WebCoRE and now I have a pretty fool-proof solution that seems to be working well.

1 Like

@wjarrettc, what if you do two loads at the time. :wink:
Washer runs and dryer runs too. Is you logic still working?

The way I have my logic configured, the first trigger is the power meter on the dryer. If it drops below a threshold, I then check to see if the acceleration sensor is active. If both conditions are true, then it signals the end of the load. POTENTIALLY, it could get fooled by an external vibration, but the algorithm will check again in 1 minute, and it will eventually trigger.

I mean, would it recognize that the dryer finished, if you started meanwhile the washer?

Oh, I misread it. I thought you are using the smart plug of the washer for load and the vibration for the dryer. Then you would be ok with only the power meter.

Okay, I’ve gotten these loaded and working (finally), but I’m gonna sadly have to wait until the weekend to see if they work.

Can you elaborate what the “cycle” is for the power meter is? It won’t automatically shut off the plug, right? It’s just monitoring the power in case it goes up and down during the washing cycle?

@dare2smile

It means the whole washing cycle and the app just monitors the power usage.
Start is the value what triggers the state “On”, so if power usage goes above that it considers that the washing machine has been started.
Finish is the value what the washing machine goes down at the end. It triggers the message.
You need to monitor power consumption during a few runs to see what values will be good for you. How the machine behaves during a run.
You might would see that the machines consumption goes down to a low level time to time, but not as much as at the end. And might the end value is not 0,because it still turns the drum after finishing. It absolutely depends on the machine.

You can get a leak sensor to notify you when the machine breaks. With a smart valve you could even shut the water to it. :wink:

1 Like

Perfect! I’ll run it this weekend and see how it goes! Thank you!!