Visonic Door/Window Sensors $10

There are instructions for each physical mod…named appropriately.

I would think all the DTH has to do is recognize that a relay is open or closed, and then instead of saying doors open or closed say there is a leak or not.

1 Like

Thanks Dana

Yes, the instructions are under the github page.

Just click on the the files

Leak_Sensor_Instructions.md, Smoke_Detector_Instructions.md, Tilt_Sensor_Instructions.md

Dana is right, the purpose of the DTH is the translate the open and close status into leak or no leak, smoke or no smoke depend on the sensor function.

Pakman, that looks waaaay cool. I have a couple spares, perhaps I will try it.

Only possible negative I can see here is battery consumption. My water leak sensors, for example, use a few AA batteries… and report nothing at all unless there is an actual water condition detected. And my smoke/CO detector reports battery once every 2 days. By contrast, these tiny sensors with tiny batteries report their temperature regularly, many times per hour.

The water leak sensors were procured on sale for $20, and the CO/smoke device for $24.

That said, your mods look great.

Yes, agree. The battery of this thing probably wont last more than a year or so. I’ve been using them for a few month now, so far so good.

On the other hand, the temperature reporting is interesting too, I can see the temperature changes in my house at different time and different places. I noticed that the mailbox and attic temperature actually varies a lot during the day

May be in some day we can use the temperature data to trigger some event in smartthings. e.g. we can program smartthings to alert you when the attic temperature is too high.

You can do that right now using webcore. Hook up an attic fan with a smart plug/Outlet, and have it trigger on when that occurs.

Hey @pakmanwg, awesome modded DTH. Possible you can create a brand new thread for your DTH? It would be easier for members searching for it and keeping the related questions in the same thread.

1 Like

Where do you get these for $10? $15 was the best price I found online.

They drop in price regularly. I missed the last time, they sold out before I sat down to order…gotta move fast.

Yes, I would say piston and webcore will be the future of home automation. However, the learning curve is kind of steep. Still working on moving some of my automatons over.

Navat604

I am reposting it under

3 Likes

Damn…I was just going to order 2 on Amazon, and the price just jumped from $15 to $20. :frowning:

Just wait until they go on sale for $10 again.

Still 14 here:

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/visonic-mct-340-e-wireless-door-window-temperature-sensor-2.4ghz-zigbee-now-works-natively-with-samsung-smartthings-hub/

1 Like

When you paid $10 before it’s hard to pay $15… I want to buy at least 10 next time. $50 difference. Hope they go to $10 soon.

2 Likes

Agreed. I bought 10 of them last time and installed all but one. Someone will always post on this thread when they go on sale again.

Well, I couldn’t wait to try these sensors, so I went ahead and bought two. They are awesome, and literally worked out of the box. I set up Smartthings to detect, pulled the battery tab on the sensor, and it was recognized in seconds as a Visonic sensor. Interestingly, one battery is at 100%, while the other is at 89%.

These probably include old stock, so expect some battery variances. The 2032’s can be had in quantity for cheap so not really an issue.

And yes - they pair w/ST out of the box, run locally, and are pretty darn cute. One of the few ST sensors that my wife likes the look of, so I can put them almost anywhere I want! :slight_smile:

Eric, Now that its discovered and setup you can change the Device Handler to SmartSense Motion Sensor in the IDE and it will execute locally and not through the cloud.

Are there directions for this? Can I change it back if I don’t like the new settings?

@Mobile785

Not sure what you mean by this…these don’t do motion, they do contact (open/close) and with @pakmanwg’s amazing modifications can also do water, smoke, and tilt sensing.

Also, these execute locally now out of the box when setup, they are natively supported by SmartThings…when you pair with them they use the SmartSense Open/Close sensor DTH, which executes locally. There is no need to change anything.

2 Likes