VFAQ: Lighting Control Options for UK SmartThings

I think the new logitech pop is what you are looking for.

I’ve just ordered it so I’ll let you know how I get on!

1 Like

Can these be wired in to control ‘dumb’ lights, and controlled via ST/Z-wave?

The Logitech pop buttons? No, they use their own Bluetooth bridge. There’s an official SmartThings integration which works quite well. But they’re just a battery powered button.

Or were you talking about a different device?

I just wanted to be clear (for the sake of others as well as myself) on @Roy_Martin’s suggestion, as it may not be what everybody is looking for!

OK, maybe I misunderstood the original aims, my apologies.

But if all you are looking for is to control your smartthings with a physical button, this is the item to use.

Different people want different options. Choice is good.

The Logitech button is a cloud to cloud integration, which does introduce a small amount of lag.

And sometimes it’s just a matter of aesthetics. The pop button is rubbery and neon colored. Sometimes people are looking for something that, well, looks more like a light switch.

There are several other battery powered devices which are available in the UK, some of which are Z wave and so communicate directly to SmartThings.

For example, the Devolo scene controller is very popular. It also costs less than the pop button once you factor in the price of the required pop bridge. It has several style and color options.

And the remotetec has eight separate buttons, each of which can be used for three functions (click, double-click, and long press, just like the Logitech POP) so that gives you 24 functions on one battery operated device.

All of the battery powered devices that work with SmartThings are listed in the buttons and remotes FAQ linked to above. Including the DeVolo, the Remotec, and the pop. Here’s the link again:

So the pop is definitely a good device (I have three of them), and there are several other good ones as well, each with somewhat different features or aesthetics.

Hello

Does this work with LED bulbs and where can you get them?

Can you please also tell me where to get these switches.

Thanks

Can you send me the link as well please?

The link is at the post above and here

Thank you, that’s very expensive for a switch £72 though

Roger Dunnaker

It’s Singapore dollar, so translate to about £50

Still very expensive for a light switch

Roger Dunnaker

I would say the switch worth the price, for almost the same price if you go for Fibaro relay, the max you can control up to 2 lights, and that need neutral wire to work.

Fibaro relay: http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-relay-insert-1-2-5-kw

Hi, I’ve just got a couple of the 3 switch version of these. Got the first wired in and it successfully works the lights from the switch itself. Detected fine in ST, and the multichannel app shows three end points.

I’ve got two problems though, the main switch (which operates switch one) can be switched on and off from ST fine, but doesn’t update its status without a manual refresh. Also, the Endpoint devices always show ‘on’. If the switches themselves are on I can switch them off once from ST, but then they just continue to show as on and can’t be controlled any more. Do I need to change any of the device settings etc? Keen to hear how you got yours working. Cheers.

Just for reference in case anyone is thinking of these - I’ve now got them working. Needed to delete and re-add the end points and they started behaving so now have full control of all three buttons. Would definitely consider these a good option for anyone looking at light switches in the UK (I ordered the neutral wire version as my house has them at the switch).

Edit to add: not sure why I seem to have two accounts! Apologies.

But not compatible with SmartThings, correct?

I’m very new to smart home automation and would be glad if someone guided me in the right path. I got the smartthings from us with the schlage lock from us as well. Living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates we have slight issues with us voltage but smartthings and schlage are working fine till now. I contacted the person in the link and he said he’s got switches for 110-240v which he said should work in Dubai but I would need us z wave frequency and he doesn’t have switches for it now.

Anyone can guide me where I can these switches with us frequency which would work in dubai.

Searching the ZigBee Alliance’s website for light switches I came across the Shneider Electric ULTI ZB 1 Gang Dimmer:

It appears to use the ZigBee Home Automation 1.0 Dimmable Light device type. I haven’t yet found these for sale in the UK.

This PDF on Schneider’s website also shows other products in the same range including a 2 gang dimmer and 1 gang and 2 gang switches with choices of face plate. It also mentions their 2-wire TruRetrofit technology which “requires no neutral wires” and “dimtect” technology which automatically detects your bulb type to make CFLs and LEDs dimmable. Is this all too good to be true?

The wiring diagrams for the dimmer and switch do seem to mention a neutral wire.

I’ve recently moved into a new house in the UK (built in 1989) and it appears that my light switches do have a neutral (black) wire to them in addition to live (red) and earth (green/yellow).

My questions are:

1. Is this ZigBee Home Automation 1.0 Dimmable Light compatible with SmartThings out of the box?
  2. Will these switches work with my existing wiring? (assuming there’s space in the back box which seems a bit shallow)
  3. Will these switches work for people who don’t have a neutral wire to the switch as discussed in this thread?

(I intended to attach more images but the forum won’t let me as a first time poster).

An example of the wiring in my existing light switches: