Light Switch Ideas (UK)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any ‘works with SmartThings’ relays/switches that can be mounted behind a standard UK wall switch to control lighting. Crucially, without a Neutral.

Have you had a chance to look at the UK lighting FAQ yet? I think it will answer most of your questions. :sunglasses:

Although there aren’t any listed on the official “works with SmartThings” page for the UK, both the Aeotec and Fibaro brands are popular with UK users, and the Fibaro can be used without a neutral in many cases.

@anon36505037 is in the UK and has done his whole house with Fibaro kit, so he may be able to say more.

Awesome thank you!

I used to have Fibaro kit long before SmartThings but the house had neutral, didn’t think to look to see if they had 2-wire ones now.
New house (actually really old!) doesn’t have neutral in the wall and the cavity above the light fitting is really tight and quite unnerving to put a small electrical device in… fire risk etc.

Unless someone can confirm that the simple push/screw fitting of wire to Fibaro or other is ok and sufficient to then stuff in to the cavity without the need for a junction box or protective box at all?

@anon36505037 Thank you! Good to know about the Chocbox, that’s definetely a way forwards! Might just get away with ‘upgrading’ to a 32mm box. As they’re wall mounted and not recessed it will have to pass ‘Aesthetics Acceptance Testing’ by the other half! Wouldn’t want a deep box sticking out from the wall.

Cheers again guys. I’ll let you know how I get one.

1 Like

Oh if only. We have a fairly fluid landlord who’ll let us do most things. But chasing walls and recessing sockets is not one of them :frowning:

1 Like