Using Xiaomi Button to Control On/Off of outlet

Hi,

Sorry, just got my smartthings today. I had paired a xiaomi button switch to the hub, but there is no way for me to set to use the button to turn on/off a outlet.
Can anyone able to give me a step by step guide

Thanks!

You need a routine to link one device to another. Go to the automation section in the mobile app and select smart lighting. It doesn’t have to be a light, despite the name.

Create a new ‘lighting’ automation with your outlet as the ‘light’ you want to control.Select the trigger as button “pressed/held”, then pick the button and whether you want it to react on a press or a hold. you can also toggle.

thanks alot. Will try it now.

Just to clarify, it’s really a smartapp that links one device to another. Smart lighting is an example of a built-in smartapp. Others can be installed from the marketplace, like button controller, which could accomplish the same thing really.

A routine is a specific type of automation can be created to do several actions in response to many different kinds triggers.

1 Like

Also, @gamcon if you’re brand new to ST, try searching the forum for some FAQ posts, or check out the community-created wiki, http://thingsthataresmart.wiki to get an idea of how to accomplish various tasks with ST. It’s not a very intuitive system, and things can be hard to find on this forum. But it can do a lot of stuff and there’s a lot of information available here.

1 Like

This might also be of interest. :sunglasses: The screenshots are a little out of date, but the basic approaches all still apply.

Thanks alot guys. It help alot. The forum is abit messy, and hence need sometime to get use to it.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Question related to this topic. I have created a momentary button, I would like to use this button to run a SmartApp which I have assigned to the a physical outlet. The SmartApp performs a power cycle on the connected device.

If I can assign the button to my SmartApp then I can use either the SmartThings app to run the cycle or Alexa.

Thanks for your help!

I recently added a Xiaomi Button and I want to use it to control a smart switch. It works fine if the button is the only means to turn light on/off. If I use the regular SmartThings App, the button seems to remember the state on its own. So if I turn the light on using its own switch, I have to press the button twice to turn the light off. Is there a fix?