Using remote button to turn on/off switches and set mode (Swann One Key Fob Remote Control SWO-KEF1PA, and ST Hub V3)

I have a remote with 3+1 buttons (Home/Away/Night+Panic). I want to be able to turn off some the lights/switches and set the mode to “Away” when I press the Away button. So I tried to create a routine (under Automation) which allows me to turn off the switches, but the only trigger I can use is “when a button of the remote is pressed” but I can’t specify which button. I then tried the Button Controller smartapp which let me pick which button to use, but doesn’t let me set the ON/OFF state of the switches. So basically it will just toggle the switch.

Any other app or ways I can try? Thanks for the suggestions.

Brand and model number of the remote?

Model number of your hub?

Swann One Key Fob Remote Control SWO-KEF1PA, and ST Hub V3.

A couple of years ago there were people who tried to get those to work with SmartThings but it kept dropping off the network. They did create a DTH for it, so you could try that and see if it helps. Or ask in that thread and see if any of them did eventually get it to work. There have been quite a few changes in SmartThings zigbee implementation in the last few years, so it might work better now.

I had purchased the SwannOne from Amazon and returned it after no success. Unsure if they work now. My only advice… If you do purchase one make sure you can return it after opening it.

1 Like

@JDRoberts @ritchierich Yes I read the old thread but decided to give it a try any way because my local Fry’s Electronics has it for $5. So the down side is really minimal. It’s been up and connected for almost a week now without a single disconnect. I did use the DTH mentioned in your reply to properly handle the buttons. But right now I can’t find a smartapp to do what I want (eg. turn off the lights and change mode to Away when I press the Away button). This seems like a common thing to do, so I thought someone must have done it before. If I can’t find one, I think my next step is to hack the Button Controller source code and hard code the light switch state to “OFF” for Away button.

1 Like

Which version of the SmartThings app are you using: Smartthings classic or “smartthings (Samsung connect)”?

Also, I can’t read code, but look at the DTH and see if it sets the number of buttons value. See the following thread for discussion of this issue.

@stephack’s ABC app is awesome! It will allow you to map the buttons to routines:

@JDRoberts that was it! I added the lines to report the numberofButton in the DTH which was originally written in @ritchierich 's thread SwannOne Key Fob Support

def installed() {
initialize()
}

def updated() {
initialize()
}

def initialize() {
sendEvent(name: “numberOfButtons”, value: 4)
}

Now the “add routine” and smartlighting app let me pick which button is pressed.

Thanks for the pointer.

2 Likes

Thanks I will check out this App too. But I think after changing the DTH (see above), I’m fine now.

1 Like

Excellent!

When you get a chance, why don’t you add an update to that thread so that other people looking at the DTH will know how it needs to be modified. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Good idea and done! SwannOne Key Fob Support (updated DTH in post #51)

2 Likes

@thejq Is your fob still working for you or is it dropping from the network?