Using Dimmer Switches as Illuminance Measurement

Many of the rooms in my home have overheads lights as well as lamps. If the overhead lights are on there is no reason to turn a lamp automatically.

Has anyone else tried matching Illuminance Measurement to Dimmer in order to determine the light in the room?

Thanks!

i feel like this is a normal answer here now but with CoRE you can

I wrote an app somewhat around this concept, however it’s based on having an external lux sensor, where by dimmer levels are set based on the external lux readings.

Not specifically what you were asking for, but just another way of doing this.

That is not same thing. What I did was added the attribute to device so that dimmer reports itself as a light source. This helps to keep lights off that don’t need to be one because the overhead lights in the room are providing the light.

Think of it like this, when you go see a play and after everyone takes a bow, the house lights come on. At that point there is no reason to have other lights on in the room.

The opposite is true as well, and if mood lights are running the motion sensors should no trip the main lighting for the room to come on.

Yea, I know it’s not what you were looking for. Just giving you some other ideas.

The drivers I maintain for my HomeSeer Dimmers and the one Cooper Dimmer in my kitchen already incorporate this. I am reluctant to install a custom GE Dimmer driver (my understanding is that this would result in less local execution).

My goal with the post was to share the idea to see if anyone else had already went down this road and could either validate/invalidate the approach.

I am aware the core engine can be used, and I use it for a couple of things, but the Core engine is a bit unwieldy and writing complex solutions in it is tiring (for my thumb).