Use phone keyboard on SmartThings to control Samsung smart TV?

I recently bought a Samsung TV an I install de SmartThings app to manage it. It will be very useful if yo add a keyboard option to the app, so tou can use your phone keyboard to register mails, search webpages, movies I streaming services etc. Is it possible?

7 Likes

I am in FULL agreement. I just got my 3rd Samsung smart tv for the house, this one being a replacement to the home theater tv. I’ve never really felt the need to use the SmartThings app for the other two, but I’m loving it for this TV. Only thing is, when I try to sign in to an account or search for stuff (everything @Mauricio_Rosas mentioned) I HATE that I cant type it in using my devices keyboard. Im using SmartThings on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 phone, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet. How on earth is using a phone/tablet keyboard in SmartThings NOT an optional. It actually seems intentional. The TV doesnt have bluetooth either, so I can’t even connect a keyboard via bluetooth. Please fix this soon.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I am shocked that this was left out. The most frustrating part of working these tvs is entering credentials for all the individual apps. Using navigation keys on a remote control makes this experience tedious so I was very surprised that Samsung went the extent of building this entire ecosystem with universal remote support and all devices connected through smartthings and didn’t add a keyboard.

The most basic input app available on the mobile devices is the on-screen keyboard.

A keyboard input should be added below the provided trackpad input.

How can we contribute improvements to the app?

1 Like

I bought a 2019 model and i can’t use a keyboard in the smarttings app, I’m shocked as well. Typing with the remote is really worthless, this function is so obvious, just fix it!

1 Like

This is such an obvious and painful omission. Pecking away passwords with the remote is terrible UX.

Same here, I’m spoiled by the Apple TV, Roku, and Fire TVs as their apps have this functionality.

+1
I just bought my 2nd q70r and am in the process of tapping all my account passwords in again!
Samsung, can you do a software update to fix this?
PS. Also add a feature to sync the accounts. You already have all my credentials from the 1st TV, don’t make me enter them all again!

Not only that, I’m 100% sure that I’ve been able to type in through the app before. I haven’t been using the TV for a while and it’s not a thing anymore. No matter what I do the keyboard just wouldn’t open

Absolutely ridiculous. Are there any other apps with a keyword for Samsung?
I’m looking but not connecting or no keyboard.

Please give us the keyboard support guys!?!

+1 come on guys, please add the keyboard!

This is legit insane. The old app (smart view) had it. So crazy to think they missed this one. Apple wouldn’t have missed it. :joy: honestly it was the reason i downloaded the app. What a waste.

Seriously?! Why hasn’t this happened yet!! Blow this thread up!

You have to do something about it. Especially since the TV is not the most responsive device when it comes to controls.

Same here. I really can’t bealive this is unintetional. It looks like they want us to just buy their high-end tvs that include a remote with with a build-in mic. Outrageous.

Same here, many companies understand that smartphone is the multi tool, you do not even need remote control anymore to use Netflix and YouTube. Mobile app allows you to cast screen, create playlist, control volume and more, but when it goes to easiest function of typing text Samsung decided to stay in previous century… Ridiculous!!!
I tried to use Bluetooth keyboard and it worked from the beginning but it is too bulky and after a while I gave up :frowning:

Still no solution to this? What is the alternative? Besides typing with remote… Which is cruel considering “SmartThings” (and Samsung’s) competition universally has this feature so we can actually use the “Smart TV’s” features. Considering returning TV…

I too want the remote keyboard input feature which I get when I open the Samsung HDTV’s search feature and have the SmartThings TV device remote up on my SmartPhone or Tablet to also work with the built in apps in the Samsung HDTV.

My easy alternative is to use an old Bluetooth keyboard I have, but it doesn’t work in every app.

My SmartPhone alternative is available on my Android SmartPhone and Tablet since I installed a serverless Bluetooth keyboard app from Google Play and connected the app to the Samsung HDTV. (kinda hacky). Anyway, I’m able to then use my Android device as a keyboard using this Android app to input stuff on the Samsung HDTV. It works on most of my apps just like the Bluetooth keyboard does.

The Bluetooth keyboard (and this serverless Bluetooth keyboard app) works with most of the apps I have installed like Netflix, Disney, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, YouTube Video, and the Samsung Web Browser (with mouse input too), but surprisingly not the Amazon Prime Video app.

1 Like

YES PLEASE! Add a keyboard input. Are there any apps with a keyboard for Samsung?

1 Like

HELLO SAMSUNG PEOPLE PLEASE FIX THIS BULLSHIST how the f**k is this possible that this option is not available on smartshit app remember it’s 2020 and you will LOOSE CUSTOMERS if you are so OBVIOUSLY OUTMATCHED in functionality THANK YOU

1 Like