Use Google Home Speakers as Smartthings Audio Notification Speakers

how ?
thanks
martin

First - in Smarthings connect to Google Home assistant under: menu,voice assistant, ā€œGoogleā€.
Second - in Google Home app:
-Create a new routine - Household
-Add Starter
-Select ā€œwhen a device does somethingā€
-Select a suitable device - you should see all your ā€œsmartā€ devices listed.
-Select device action - ā€œon or offā€ and then save with ā€œadd starterā€
-Add Action
-Select ā€œcommunicate and announceā€
-Select ā€œmake an annoucementā€
-Select ā€œannouce to householdā€ and select devices
-Enter ā€œyour messageā€
-Select check mark top right corner to save
-Select ā€œDoneā€
-Change the routine name from ā€œuntitledā€ to something appropriate.
-Save

Finally - annoy your spouse with your ā€œclevernessā€.

4 Likes

thanks works great but for some reaason no motion sensors or contact sensors show up in google home (strange)
martin

Not a problemā€¦
Create a virtual switch that responds to your motion sensor and select the virtual switch in your Google routine.
Example:
I have a motion sensor in my outdoor mailbox that triggers when opened.
I created a virtual switch that is turned on by the ā€œactive motion sensorā€
This virtual switch will then be used in Google routine - when switched on - run announceā€¦
Wife hates it but that okā€¦

Be sure to use the new Edge version for creation or it will not be supported in the future:

2 Likes

thanks will give it a try

@hgamblin this is awesome, thanks for posting this. It looks like Google Home Routines can now use switches, buttons, and Thermostat Modes for the Google Routines ā€˜Starterā€™ device feature.

For anyone interested in this topic, I have an Edge driver for Google Cast devices (Google Cast V0.1), which allows you to play notifications on any Google Cast device, including the Nest Mini, which was selling for pretty cheap over the holidays.

My personal opinion is that Amazon Alexa is a superior voice assistant and platform, but for a cheap announcement speaker, the Google Nest Mini is hard to beat.

5 Likes

Cool, watching for something like this.
Can you explain me please how will i find cast web api host adress?

Great! Iā€™ve installed the driver but obviously canā€™t get it to work . Iā€™ll wait a topic. Thank you!

@vasilievflorin @pilone

I left out a key point, and that is my Google Cast driver requires something called cast-web-api to be running on a LAN computer. I know this is a showstopper for many, so I apologize for not mentioning it in my post above!

My driver is basically an Edge implementation of an earlier Groovy-based solution that was also built on cast-web-api and gave those users a way forward on the new platform.

cast-web-api takes care of the actual communications to the Google Cast devices, which is not a particularly simple or well-documented interface, and not something I wanted to try and reproduce in an Edge driver right now.

But if you have a spare Raspberry Pi or similar, itā€™s not too much trouble to get installed and running.

3 Likes

I thought it was an easy way to integrate Google cast into Smartthings. i have already installed nodered in a raspberry and already got google talking in some routines using your web requestor multi driver, but iā€™m trying to retire it because having a device always on for just this annoys me. Thank you in any case for your superb work for advanced users and also for your patience with poor users like me.

2 Likes

do you think it will work on an old Synology NAS DS214? I canā€™t find much info on the net, but if someone tells me it might work, I might try :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Thank you a lot! Unfortunately i donā€™t have a Raspberry Pi and for now, i will wait other alternatives (when they will be) :slight_smile:

Hi @TAustin could you please assist me in install this driver on a Raspberry PI? Thanks

For those of you who prefer step-by-step video tutorials, there is an updated guide that has been posted on YouTube. Hopefully it will be helpful.
Making Google Home Speak With SmartThings Using Edge Drivers

5 Likes

Hello.
I created vedge contact for my Aqara P2 door sensor but i can not find the virtual switch in google home starter devices routine. Any advice please?

Unlike Echo devices, I think you must use a virtual switch for the Google/Nest ecosystem.

Google Home does not yet recognize virtual door contact devices, theyā€™re not even discoverable from within their script editor. If you havenā€™t already, create and configure a vEdge Switch for your door sensor instead, and then you will be able to select it as an automation starter device.

Edit: If you have SmartThings linked to Google Home, you will be able to select your door contact sensor as a starter device when using the Script Editor to create your automation. If youā€™re only using the GH app to create an automation, then you will need to create a vEdge Switch for the contact sensor. The screenshot shows which of my contact sensors are available as automation starter devices.

2 Likes

Not sure if this helps anyone out. But the way I got smartthings to play sounds, music or announcement on google devices is that I put up a virtual device (light bulb f.eks) in smartthings that shows up in google home.

So I created a rutine in smartthings that trigger the virtuel light to turn on. So when the light is turned on it shows as turned on in google home as well. Then you make a rutine in google home that when light is turned on play this sound or announcement on google speaker.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, set up a virtual switch, made a Google routine and bingo, message spoken over the Google home

Thanks a lot - works perfectly