Updates to the SmartThings Platform

Ok, that is similar to my experience, with accessibility having gotten worse in several areas. Although it also got better in a few areas. I use iOS devices and Alexa, but it’s the same issues.

I was told about a month ago that they have added a staff member with accessibility testing experience to W3C standards and that future app versions will be brought more in line with those standards, but as I’m sure you know, what matters is what’s actually delivered, not what’s promised.

To be honest, I have shifted all of my own critical use cases over to a combination of Apple HomeKit and Alexa specifically because of better accessibility support. But again, I’m not using an oven. I can very highly recommend the Alexa-enabled Amazon Basics microwave: it has great voice support. But as a quad, I do very little cooking with a regular oven, so I can’t really say anything about those.

6 Likes

Very well said. Having smart devices in a home isnt something natural yet, so people take time to get used to them and to trust them based on continues static functionality. Its not something u change out of the blue and expect people to just adjust to it.
I have over 80 smart devices in my home out of which only 20 to 30 where allowed to be controlled by google assistant, then for some reason (financially motivated ?) smartthings decides that I should no longer be the person in charge of who or what can control what device in my OWN HOME!
For 3 years now, my family had gotten used to using google assistant to control certain smart devices around my house but i had to abruptly remove all access , now i dont see myself or my family trusting them anytime in the near future.

6 Likes

The new app is not yet available on several android models (e.g. Redmi Note 7 running Android 10 / Miui v11 ) and once users have clicked the button to migrate, there is no way back! I’m now stuck with a load of smart devices that I cannot control other than via the web interface. Unfortunately, I’m strongly tempted to move wholesale to Hubitat Elevation instead of waiting for ST to fix this.

2 Likes

Wait, you can still control them in the Classic App right…

…which dies next week.

1 Like

Please don’t remind me. :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved: That’s sux man. Phones are not cheap these days.

1 Like

Sorry. Just wanted to ensure that it’s clear that using the legacy app isn’t a viable solution for long. :cry:

3 Likes

We will see what happens!

2 Likes

This is very well said.

Ordinarily I would hate to beat a dead horse, that’s already been beaten 10000 times, but it is just not possible to overstate how eff’ed up this whole ordeal is.

Ugh…really not looking forward to the task of finding a new platform.

5 Likes

if you do jump, go hubitat.

7 Likes

Linked Places are only for Galaxy devices?! What type of bs is that?

3 Likes

Is it true that smartthings is being sold to Aeotec?

Why was the V3 hub abruptly discontinued?

Wrong! ST is not being sold. They are licensing out the hardware to third parties to manufacture.

2 Likes

Where did you see this? Doesn’t explain pulling all V3 hubs from the shelves

It’s explained in the Aeotec licensing thread you posted in before posting here.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any reports that hubs are being pulled from the shelves: where did you see that? :wink:

What I have heard is reputable reports from Amazon and some other dealers that they are not getting new stock of the V3 hub. And one conversation that a community member posted with Samsung support that the hub is being discontinued in Canada.

See the following thread for a detailed discussion:

Smartthings Hardware being licensed to Aeotec?

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that a lot of SmartThings devices are out of stock. Especially the arrival/presence sensor. But other things seem to be low to. Even on Samsung’s own site. Very odd. Who is going to be supplying our smart stuff ? Does anyone really know. Someone must surely ?

there are lots of used st hubs and devices on ebay.

In the UK we have one major high Street electrical supplier for the masses, on there web site they have the Smartthings blurb with links to buy Smartthings devices, non of the links now resolve St devices, they all now point towards random other electrical crap, in the UK apart from Amazon Smartthings does not exist

1 Like

Still available on a subscription plan as part of the Vodafone V home package in the UK.

I’m not saying that most members of this forum would find that helpful, I’m just saying that the partnership still seems to exist.