[UPDATED] Rule Machine with Triggers

Something is broken in the platform. Please notify support.

Same here after update on Android. Showing 1.7.2/1.7.10d in app. Get red “Sorry, but there was an unexpected error.” when going into existing rules. However I can create a new rule and get to the first page, click Define a Rule, get blank screen, working circle, then get red “unexpected error” banner.

I did confirm the entire code was pasted on both. Prior updates have been done without a hitch.

Existing rules seem to still be firing…

1 Like

ST is having degraded performance for Android, and that’s killing the ability to open a Rule.

Just another day in SmartLand :disappointed:

I removed RM and went to add it again, the log for Rule says the same thing.

Did you install and Publish For Me both apps, Rule Machine and Rule.

Follow the instructions in the original RM post:

Yes

I have been searching for a way to use rule machine to trigger another app.

Ihave a couple apps with the manual trigger button I would like to run based on a timer.

Any ideas?

It depends on the app, what is it?

You can set up a virtual switch and have the rule in rule machine turn that switch on. Set up the other app to do something based of that virtual switch.

It’s a sensor Initialization app for me Ecobee3 thermostat.

It’s supposed to run every 5 minutes but with the problems with smartthings scheduling it will stop running.

If I manually trgger it then it runs finr for awhile.

I can use the conditikn on a dummy sensor to trigger the delay action but I cant figure out how to trigger the app.

what I do it find something on your network that reports a value at the interval you wish to poll the sensor. Create a rule that does not use time but uses the value from that sensor to trigger a poll action in rule machine.

It’s not a polling issue, I don’t think, as Pollster doesn’t fix it.

Re-launching the app is what I need to do, it has a quick launch button (a king of play arrow thing), which is what I am trying to execute but can’t figure out how to do.

Cheers,

Matthew

I have a rule that was working before and after I made some changes, when I try to open the rule I receive the following message, ‘You are not authorized to perform the requested operations’. Any ideas on how I can remove this rule? It’s on an Android phone.

Very nice, thanks… All better now.

Hello, finally i am able to use Rule Machine… no idea what fixed it :slight_smile: I like it a lot.

However, i am now trying to create a simple command with my lights. Actually, its not that simple, and i dont know what im doing wrong. I actually have 2 different issues so i wanted to ask here:

Goal:
Turn Hue Bulb to specific color and level if motion is detected and illuminance is below “X”.
Turn off after “Y” seconds of non motion. (if in the interim motion is detected again, start counter again)
However, if Hue Bulb is already turned on, do not change the level.

What i did so far:
Create conditions: Illuminance Sensor <= “X”; Motion Sensor = Active; Hue Lamp = Off
Create rule: Illuminance <= “X” & Motion Sensor = Active & Hue Lamp = Off
Create Actions: Turn on
If False: Pending off: Hue Bulb “Y” minutes

Issue 1:
Light goes on, and turns off after 1 minute if no motion is detected. However, if motion is detected again within this 1 minute timeframe, the lamp goes off, and on directly afterwards after 1 minute. This happens continously.

Issue 2:
Light turns on, but it randomly turns off, even if motion is detected. Sometimes it works for several minutes, sometimes it shuts off when im standing in front of the motion sensor. Even when i check if motion is detected, it shows within the Smartthings app, and the light only turns on after some time passed.

I hope was able to explain my issues well, its harder than i thought to put this into words… if anybody has some ideas what i can try out, please let me know

This is messed up. First off, you need a rule not a conditional trigger. Secondly, having a condition that is affected by your actions creates a loop (Kitchen off for false, which then makes the rule true.

Start over, rethink your logic.

Issue 2 is similar. Use a rule not a conditional trigger.

Ok now i am confused… what is a conditional trigger in this case?
I see from screenshots of version 1.7.11 there is a new field conditional triggers. I will update the app first.

A conditional trigger is a trigger with conditions and a rule. It’s conditions/rule are only evaluated when the trigger fires, so won’t work for pending off types of rules.

You probably want a rule instead.

Ok i have updated my rules now, but have the feeling that this is way to complicated…
1.Trigger 1 turns on virtual switch if lamp turns on.
2. Rule 1 turns on lamp if motion and luminance is TRUE. Rule is deactivated when virtual switch is ON.
3. Trigger 2 turns off virtual switch if motion is inactive and activates rule 1 after 1 minute.

This seems to work, however of course the lights will always turn off if i walked by the motion sensor once. But i can live with that for now. More troubling is that the light changes its level if i trigger motion with this 1 minute as the Virtual Switch is already turned off. Lets see if i can find any nicer solution to this.

Your app is really powerful, and there is a very steep learning curve. Still dont understand all the options… but i am so happy that this exists! Without it, Smartthings wouldn’t be as valuable as it is! Thank you!

1 Like