Update Required: New Sonos Integration

Thanks … seems to work. Wasn’t intuitive what that option did. I wrongfully assumed it was a push notification feature.

Does it do both a push and audio notification? or just audio when you toggle that option on?

It showed the push notification when I tested it.

It didn’t actually play the message on the Sonos at all, but something might just be screwed up with my Sonos ‘Thing’ as it crashes the new Samsung SmartThings (oneapp) when I try to view the Thing details. I’ve tried deleting it and rediscovering it, but same issue each time.

I can see the status changing when watching it from the small tile in the dashboard of oneapp or when viewing it in SmartThings Classic. :man_shrugging:

It seems like you can switch back the TYPE to the ‘none websocket’ version on the IDE. Hopefully things will get sorted out sooner than later before they remove the legacy type.

1 Like

Looks like all of the “Official” Smartthings SmartApps Templates are still using the old “capability.musicPlayer” and are also broken.

I think it’s great that we now have “Official” Samsung and Sonos support, but seriously, how poorly thought out was this implementation?

We need to get the SmartHomeMonitor fixed ASAP and some updated code samples/templates.

I will have to roll back to the old version until this is fixed because it has just turned my “Smart Home” into a Mute home that is no use to anybody.

3 Likes

The only Sonos integration I needed / used was for SMH and Text to speech notifications. Now that neither of these work, and there’s no guarantee that they ever will again, I have until 17th October to look for an alternative solution.

As has been said before by others, not a well thought out Official integration considering all of the lost functionality and benefits.

1 Like

Is there a specific email we can all contact and complain about this integration?

Support@smartthings.com or post a comment on the App Store.

Thanks. I was hoping for something more specific than their catch-all email.

use the hublink app on Hubitat, you can push all your sensors to hubitat to use with the sonos.

1 Like

Try using the new app. I did and it works great. Has TTS and notifications. And it runs along side the classic app.

1 Like

Thanks - I didn’t realise we can use both classic and new app. Will have a look into this tonight

1 Like

I removed and am trying to re-add my Sonos Beam in the new app. I get to 60% and it says “Power on the speaker. The speaker must be set up in the Sonos app first.”

Power is on (music playing) and I have it setup in the app. Just seems to hang here, not sure if it is searching, waiting for me, or what, but haven’t been able to get past this. Anyone else run into this?

Frankly, it seems this change is still in beta despite being released to the masses.

Just take a look at all the new threads describing issues.

I do hope people don’t get upset with Sonos on this one. They’re not perfect but they certainly release better software updates than this. This is on SmartThings.

Sigh.

3 Likes

Some others said if you back out after it hangs that it still adds…

2 Likes

I think that is “new” feature. I used the classic app to add, and it does quite often, when trying to pair nothing shows up, when trying to pair next time, then it is there to change the name.

I haven’t changed anything yet, but have noticed that the speaker companion smart app is no longer increasing Sonos volume for all of my SC automations. Anyone else notice this?

Hi community!

Like many of you on this thread, I went for the option of changing the device type via the SmartThings web interface, as I didn’t want to lose the integrations I’d setup using the classic app (by removing the speakers and re-adding them).

After a few days, realised I wasn’t getting any voice notifications from my webCoRE Pistons anymore. At that point I embarked on my journey through the 7 Stages of Grief:

1. SHOCK & DENIAL
    Hang-on! My Pistons have stopped working. Surely this can’t be true. Maybe I went to sleep before my night-time routine kicked in and I missed the voice notification. Maybe my speakers were on mute.

2. PAIN & GUILT
    Maybe I screwed something up? I have just been away for two weeks on holiday having a good time. Was there an e-mail I missed? Some other webCoRE update I should have applied? Yes, it must be my fault. Samsung and Sonos wouldn’t hurt me like this.

3. ANGER & BARGAINING
    #uck this Smart Home Life! It’s like a full time job. I program computers all day at work, then I have to come home and do it all again just because of some crappy software update! Why should I have to do this?

4. DEPRESSION, REFLECTION, LONELINESS
    I could cry right now. I have to re-write 20 webCoRE Pistons now. This is going to take so much of my free time. I wonder if it’s all really worth it. What am I doing with my life? I wonder if anyone else is experiencing what I’m feeling. I feel so alone. Maybe I should reach-out to the community.

5. THE UPWARD TURN
    OK, let’s stop this wallowing in self-pity. I can fix this. Let me check the community pages. There must be a way through this. Yes! I’m not alone. It’s not my scripts! It’s SmartThings and Sonos after all! Other people are going through the same pain as me!

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH
    OK what are my options? It sounds like some people are using the apps to achieve text to speech. But what about all my lovely pistons with TTS embedded in them. How can I fix these? Do I need to migrate. Can I chain some event to the app and get TTS to trigger after my Piston has executed?

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE
    OK, looks like I’m screwed. If I roll back the change, it will break again on the 17th October anyway. I may as well live with a mute Smart Home and hope that SmartThings and Sonos add back the deprecated features sometime before I simply lay down and let the moss consume me.

:slight_smile:

Seriously though…is there anyone else on this thread using TTS on a Sonos speaker in the middle of their Pistons who has a simple solution to this? I don’t want to use another app or framework ideally. I have virtually all my automations in webCoRE.

Thanks in anticipation and hope.

8 Likes

well, all my sonos apps no longer work. stuff like playing music to wake me up in the morning, announcing that someone is at the front door, letting me know when people arrive/leave, playing music when i get home…

i was using big talker and talking alarm clock.

when using the speaker notification app on the New smartthings app, you can’t select multiple speakers, just one sonos speaker at a time. that sucks, before i would select one speaker and it would play through my whole group. now it just plays on one speaker…

also there’s no way to turn your sonos speakers off in Goodbye mode anymore. when i would leave the house my music would stop playing when goodbye mode was activated.

any suggestions?

Really hope someone from Smart things is monitoring this thread. I’m still at a loss as to how Smart Home Monitor can’t use geopresence in the new app like the classic app. As a result, I need to keep using the classic version of the app which is currently NOT compatible with this new Sonos device handler (both for TTS and SHM). It seems like each major update from Smartthings keeps reducing features that were working perfectly for us “classic users”. At this rate, I’m really starting to feel that I need to look for an alternative to Smartthings (esp if classic gets phased out).

I wonder if there’s a way to download the old Sonos device handler before it gets retired and use it as a custom device handler. That might get things working again for now…

2 Likes