United security pressure mat

@Jimxenus
So, are you saying that these pressure mats are basically just a simple switch that needs no power other than being connected to the terminals on the open/close sensor?

1 Like

That’s right, the pads are merely a switch that closes when you step on them. The GoControl has a battery of course and senses the swtch when closed.

2 Likes

Nice. Can’t get any more simple than that.

1 Like

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

My mat…

1 Like

Someone do a youtube video of the installation!!

1 Like

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you add the icon?

First, you should be using the custom Device Handler found at post 22 in this thread

If you need help installing custom DH and SmartApps

Download my icon (or use one of your own) and transfer it to your photo library of your phone.

In the device handler on your SmartThings app, click on the gear icon in the top right corner. Then simply click on the “Set Device Image” link to browse for your icon.

2 Likes

Thanks! DTH and icon all set up and looking great. Thanks x2 for your time and effort!

1 Like

I’ve bought the mat, but before I buy the Ecolink door sensor, does anyone have experience using the Iris 3320-L Contact Sensor? I have a few available. I ask because they look impenetrable without breaking it.

You’ll need a contact with external connections. The Iris do not have them.

3 Likes

Just thought you all might be interested, I changed the code to flip the open/closed status of the sensor so that new closed is normal, unstepped-on state, and open is the stepped on state. (It also uses my modified icon, red feet when stepped on, white otherwise). I did this because most SmartApps out there considered ‘open’ to be the ‘bad’ state of a contact sensor (e.g. door open). It doesn’t effect how the sensor works or displays (all that was updated as well), but if you use smarttiles it highlights stepped on now instead of vice versa, and if you use any smartapps that only trigger things when contacts open, this work appropriately without any extra effort.

4 Likes

Thanks for improving upon my idea. This is what makes the ST community so great.

2 Likes

Just came across this project report over at instructables for a mattress pad based on the same concept:

2 Likes

Ahhhhhh, thanks

1 Like

Amazing find.
Any cheap alternative to the Ecolink DWZWAVE2-ECO? its $40+ in canada

I think the ecolink is typically the cheapest. The Aeotec Dry contact and the Fibaro both cost more.

Meanwhile…

how does everyone deal with the weather. Are these items weather proof?

1 Like

As far as pressure mats themselves go, it depends on brand and model, but definitely many are intended for outdoor use, including the United security one discussed in most of the projects in this thread. For example, the small mat is often sold for use as a “doorbell” for warehouses or RVs or even boats at a marina.

You run wires from the mat to whatever radio device you’re going to use. So it’s often very easy to put the radio device in a sheltered location or even indoors and just run wires to the mat.

If you going to put the radio device outdoors as well, then all of the usual caveats apply.