United security pressure mat

I am sorry, that is simply not possible. Now go build your HA dreams

2 Likes

Well, you’ve got the name for it! :first_quarter_moon_with_face::last_quarter_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this! I have a disabled daughter who likes to get out of bed and is not all that stable! This has saved her from more than one fall!

1 Like

This is BY FAR, my favorite Smart Home hack to date. Thank you so much for the share!!!

I wanted to inquire about the default “Open” state of this set up, and if there is any possible way that the default state could be set (or coded) to be read by SmartThings as Closed?

The reason being, for the longest time I actually used this as part of my SmartThings security “Smart Home Monitor”. This was great because I could get notified, or say, trip my camera to record, if someone walked up to my door but didn’t knock, the postman left a package but didn’t knock (BEST use ever), or (heaven forbid) someone tried to break into my house and obviously didn’t want to knock lol.

However, because the default state is open, SmartThings would constantly remind me something like “Your home is safe, but the Front Door Mat was left open”. Or it would false triggereturn a security alert. I can’t remember the specifics because I removed it from my “Smart Home Monitor” as it rendered the Smart Home Monitor completely uselessatisfied.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand WHY it is in a default state of open and when someone or something steps or lands on it it closes… but has anyone wished or felt that there would be a benefit from it being reversed? Maybe this can be done by some code… I am no coder, but would be willing to donate if someone wished to try to tackle this.

Thanks!!

3 Likes

When I created a “panic button” from a doorbell button and a door sensor like he is using, I just flip flopped the open and closed in the code here:

// report open and closed events are swapped so that createEvent open is closed, and closed is open
// this reversal lets the alarm system function properly

def sensorValueEvent(value) {
if (value) {
createEvent(name: “contact”, value: “closed”, descriptionText: “$device.displayName is closed”)
} else {
createEvent(name: “contact”, value: “open”, descriptionText: “$device.displayName is open”)
}
}

2 Likes

For anyone interested, I created an icon that better matches the ones that SmartThings uses. It has a transparent background so the colors and text still show up.

3 Likes

So I think I found the code in the Device Handler starting at around 96 below but when I tried to swap the values, it seems to have no effect. Any suggestions?

def sensorValueEvent(value) {
if (value) {
createEvent(name: “contact”, value: “open”, descriptionText: “$device.displayName is empty”)
} else {
createEvent(name: “contact”, value: “closed”, descriptionText: “$device.displayName is stepped on”)
}
}

Maybe there was more I did. :wink:
So you changed the code, saved it, and published/for me
backed out of the device display on your phone/tablet and came back in…
and it didn’t change function.
I’ll look some more in the code.

hmm, I don’t think I did this but I opened up SmartTiles and nothing changed there either.

You are welcome to put the device handler I use in your system and try it with your device.

https://github.com/n8xd/PanicButton/blob/master/PanicButton.groovy

OK, I tried out your DH but it still sees it at “open” rather than closed.

That’s all I got…if I think of something else I’ll speak up. I’m using one of the gocontrol door sensors on mine.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

I have had my pad installed for many months and it has alerted me very reliably about people and my dogs coming to the front door. The only advice I offer from this experience is to snake the line inside the door and install the sensor inside. Before I did this the sensor would often get wet and stop working.

2 Likes

Hey folks,

I did this same install with a United Security Mat and the EcoLink Door sensor. However, its not working quite as expected. When I step on the mat, the Ecolink reports Closed for a moment, and then goes back to open, even when I’m still on that mat. It goes Closed everytime, consistently, but goes back to Open like a momentary switch. I was expecting Closed the whole time there was pressure on the mat. Am I missing something? Do I have a bad mat?

Chris

I’m not sure how you have yours set up but when I step on my mat, it stays stepped on until I step off. I am using the GoControl sensor found here
http://www.amazon.com/GOCONTROL-WNK01-21KIT-Essential-Z-Wave-Security/dp/B00XUXYSWU?ie=UTF8&keywords=GOCONTROL%20WNK01-21KIT%20Essential%20Z-Wave%20Home%20Security%20Suite&qid=1463968481&ref_=sr_ph_1&sr=sr-1

I also use this DTH found earlier in this thread

Maybe you can try reinstalling.

Any updates on this? Has anyone got this to work as a pressure sensor under their mattress?

I don’t think there is enough vertical force in this configuration to trigger the 60 pound mat version except under “special circumstances” if you know what I mean (LOL). Seriously - I think a relay switch would be much better and more reliable.

I just setup my security mat, it works great under the couch cushion. Paired with the econet contact sensor.

2 Likes

Here is what I do with it.

2 Likes