Unifi & Smartthings?

Hi All,

I’m looking to integrate SmartThings with my Unifi setup. Specifically when I’m home I have SmartThings disable interior cameras. I’d like to shut off the POE to the camera so they turn off instead, so then they draw no power at all.

Thanks

Ben

If your cameras are connected to a POE switch you could plug the switch into a smart plug. When you’re home, smart plug cuts the power to the switch, and turns it on when you leave.

If you mean dynamically disable/enable the POE on individual ports of a switch based on your presence, there might be a way to do that but that’d be trickier to accomplish.

1 Like

Unfortunately the switch also powers my Wi-Fi so I can’t just down the entire thing. I’m hoping to dynamically disable\enable the POE port directly…

My entire network is Unifi based and I cannot think of a way for you to accomplish what you need. Maybe if you had a smartapp capable of logging into the switch via SSH and sending the appropriate commands… but that is likely too complicated to do for this.

Before I adopted Unifi, I was using this POE Injector, which has an ST DTH:

http://www.digital-loggers.com/poe48.html

This would power your POE devices and allow you to turn them on/off remotely. A side benefit is that you can hook up backup batteries to it to power your cameras during power outages. I am not thrilled with the quality of the build but it did its job. Mine is now collecting dust… maybe I should list it on ebay.

My Unifi USG, Unifi switch and my Synology NAS are all running off a UPS, otherwise that would have been an interesting option.

I have linked my Alarm (HAI OmniPro) to SmartThings using a Raspberry PI. So I could build another proxy there to translate JSON into SSH, that might be the path I take, but given the complexity I’ll work on my other projects first :slight_smile: