UK Alarm / Security System that is ST Compatible--advice needed (2018 build)

First, this is the UK category. Please confine your answers to systems which are available and legal to operate there.

@heythisisnate , as a new business owner, I suggest you consult your attorney about issues regarding selling into the UK or even advertising/offering advice to those in the UK with regard to security systems. UK laws/regulations are quite different than the US for both security systems and for advertising. Just as one example, even DIY systems in England are required by law to turn off their sirens after 20 minutes even if the internet is unavailable– selling something which doesn’t meet that requirement but is advertised for security purposes is itself a violation of law. The customers may not know all of the requirements, but the businesses are expected to.

There are a number of other “obvious” features required for UK systems which someone in the US may never have heard of or even considered. So for this particular category, it’s essential to limit discussion to systems approved for use in the UK.

Next… in the UK, you will be fined for false alarms to the police. In the US, this varies from town to town and many towns will give you at least one “just a warning” response, but this is taken much more seriously in the UK. There are a lot of different aspects to it, including whether you are required to register with the “peace for a pound” scheme even if it is just a self monitoring system.

As far as the OP’s original question, hopefully some of the UK members who have investigated these issues like @bobbles will have more to add. I’ve modified the thread title in the hopes of attracting more responses.

@tapion1ives has done a lot of work on an integration between the Yale smartphone alarm system, which is one of the most popular in the UK, and SmartThings. It’s not a full integration, and only the Yale devices can be used to trigger the Yale alarms, but it does give you status information and some alarm/disarm options. It’s definitely worth taking a look at, and you can ask further questions of people in that thread who are using it.

@jelockwood has also been doing research into UK security systems, including wired options, although I don’t know if he has selected one yet. He does have a discussion thread:

@cjcharles is a UK member who has done work on a Visonic integration, but I don’t know if he has written up a project report on it. Still he might have more to add.

@Deleted_Username has something similar set up with Envisalink.

@cobra may also have some additional thoughts.

Also, @Steveuk23 has reported that ADT in the UK is starting a beta for a SmartThings – compatible product, presumably similar to the one that was just released to the US market last month. ADT is one of the largest security system companies in the UK, just as it is in the US, so I would consider this good news. Note, though, that if it is engineered in a fashion similar to the US system it will have its own line of sensors and will not be able to be used with either ADT sensors from other systems or with SmartThings sensors at least as far as alerting the monitoring system. So don’t buy other devices in anticipation of this product, as they may not be compatible.

So there are some options depending on exactly what you want to accomplish, but at the moment nothing that works just out of the box for full SmartThings integration. That’s not necessarily a bad thing: many of us in both the US and the UK are on a completely separate security system and reserve SmartThings just for home automation applications where reliability is less critical. It is less convenient to have two systems, but manageable for most people.

Hopefully some of the UK members who have researched security systems will have more to add. :sunglasses: