Twinkly Christmas Lights

In the ST app, go to the Automations section, click on the + in the upper right of the screen, choose add Routine, then click on the Discover tab at the top of the screen, scroll down to find custom smartapps. You may need to enable developer mode first which you can find in the following thread.

Look in capability group 1-3 when you go to add it to your instance of webcore.

ST app > your instance of webcore > settings > available devices > available devices > capability group 1-3

1 Like

I used this successfully last year and it was still working when I set my tree up in October (yeah I had a Halloween tree).

I started having problems around the first or 2nd week of November this year (2021). I think the problem is in the Twinkly side of things though. I have the exact same issue with Google Home which uses a Twinkly official account link. I even have problems with the Twinkly app if I’m not on my home network.

There was a firmware update around that time and I’m wondering if that’s really where the problem is.

1 Like

Wow… I don’t think I would have ever found that on my own lol Your instructions were perfect…

Also right on, I was able to add to “Which switches” within Capability Group 3. Thank you @jkp

I deleted the device I created manually and used the Twinkly Device Creator Smart App to create the device, but still same odd behavior. WebCoRE seems to have a 50/50 chance of turning on/off the tree. I haven’t tried connecting to Google Assistant.
Similar to @Sethaniel68, when I setup my tree this year it immediately had a firmware update… Another firmware update came down a few days ago (it’s now at version 2.8.3).

1 Like

I wanted to use the handler that @Jonathon_Bischof had improved however I found it super unreliably due to how it was using fixed delays to compensate for the delay in response times during the auth flow.

I’m still working on the code, but already just rewriting it to eliminate delays in favour of properly using callbacks makes it significantly more robust. I’ve also improved it to use a newer xled endpoint to get all the device information in one call instead of having to make separate calls for brightness and led mode.

You can just swap repos in your smartthings ide to mine and update to it and your devices, if you have any, will continue working with the newer code.

2 Likes

I agree! Works about 90% of the time for me now. Thank you @AndrewSmartThings for your work on this!

Thank you, Andrew. Your new code is working well for me.

so do you have any experience or plans on making this in to a edge driver

4 Likes

So haven’t seen any activity on here so I posted a new form entry with a request for edge driver see if any that have already made them can help update this. Edge driver request

Please don’t start new threads for Edge Driver requests. Just add them to the existing community request topic. That way the developers only have to check in one place, we don’t get a lot of duplicate requests, and people can spend their time coding rather than reading lots of multiple threads. Thanks.

Post Requests for Edge Drivers Here (community-created)

I’m not 100% sure what’s possible in your skill, but Twinkly lights will respond to a discovery packet broadcast on port 5555. It has a specific format and I can help you if you want to integrate it.

You may want to post in the following thread where users might be looking for Twinkly integration through the link posted in @JDRoberts post below. I copied the wrong link LOL so i removed it.

Anything in this thread dealing with the old groovy SmartApps and Device Handlers which has been shut down so this thread is “mostly” obsolete. the link above is probably a better fit.

1 Like

This thread isn’t completely obsolete, because the Alexa integration method discussed above will still work.

As far as edge drivers, there are already requests for twinkly, but nothing that’s been built yet. Those request would go in the LAN edge driver request thread.

All of that said, the twinkly CEO has said that they are eventually going to provide matter support. Once they do, twinkly lights should work with SmartThings out of the box with no custom code required. But we aren’t there yet.

Andrea Tellatin, CEO at Twinkly, told The Verge that it will make Matter updates available on all of its existing Wi-Fi smart lighting products and build Matter support into its new products.

I suggest contacting twinkly support to see if they have a timeline for an expected matter release for the models you are interested in. :thinking:

1 Like