Turn On instead of "Dim On" - GE Z-Wave Lighting Module, 12718

(Jake) #1

Hey everybody,

I’ve got one these nice GE z-wave lighting module dimmers (12718). When I first set it up I somewhere remember an option listed whether I’d like the switch to turn on instantly or “dim on”. I originally selected the “dim on” feature but now realize it’s a bit annoying because it takes forever to turn on. Does anyone know how I can just have the module turn my lamp on at 100% all the time?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jake

Dimmer module that can be set to ramp up
(Andrea Bianco) #2

I do not have this exact device but other GE products… in the App - go to the device -> select the “gear” top right (settings) -> I get “dim Rate” to select AND Dim transition fro On/Off commands “yes” or “no” option.

(Jake) #3

Ok, so I’m not crazy! That option used to exist in the iOS app but now I don’t see it. Device options are:
-Give Your Device a Name
-Update Icon
-LED Indicator
-Replace
-Remove

Any ideas why I’m not seeing the “Dim rate” option anymore???

(Andrea Bianco) #4

I am using Android for App - NOT iOS - sorry. I still have it in my App. Sorry I cannot speak to iOS.

If you are still looking to adjust the ramp rate on the GE dimmer module, you might try customizing the step size/duration parameters using a custom device handler, which will allow you to speed up the on/off dimming transitions. There are a few custom device handlers floating around, but this one worked well for me for both the dimmer module (GE 12718) and in-wall dimmer switch (GE 12724):

FWIW, I settled on a step size of ‘2’ (2%) and a step duration of ‘3’ (3ms) for a smooth, speedy transition.

Once you have set the custom ramp rate parameters using the custom device handler, you can switch back to the stock device handler to restore local control (on a v2 hub).

(Jake) #6

Krazos! Thanks for responding. How the heck do I get the github stuff to work? I’ve never messed around with any of that stuff. :slight_smile:

Just a note that you can now use the Z wave tweaker device type handler with any Z wave device to expose all of its parameters and make it easy to change them. Once you have them configured, just switch back to your everyday device type handler.