Transformer on smart outlet in garage

I plan to install 45W transformer for low voltage landscape lighting inside the garage. Just 5 spot lights and 1 transformer. I don’t want the transformer outside, as I don’t like to see that ugly box. I will not use its photo cell, but would like to control when it turns on and off.

Instead of programming the transformer, I am thinking I could leave it on ON all the time but connect it to a smart outlet. That way I can program on my phone when the lights turn on/off, and not have to adjust the program on the transformer for different sunset times of the year.

Can I connect transformer for low voltage landscape lighting to any z wave smart outlet?
Is it just a regular smart outlet I would use for anything in the house, or does it need to be ‘special’ because it connects to this transformer?
Does it have to be GSI outlet if it’s in the garage?
Is it an issue that the power to the transformer is just turned on/off like that every day? I am thinking I wouldn’t want my computer loosing power every day, so maybe it’s not good for the transformer either.

Or can I use Plug-In Smart Switch like this one?

Is your transformer hardwired or plug in? Does it accept 120v? What type of lites will you be using?

i have two of mine connected to a zwave smart outlet… but it is outdoors. so i put in a regular ge outlet and put in in an outdoor enclousre… works ifne, but your yard lighting devices need to have a setting to turn on whenever power is applied most do. Just add up the wattage of all the bulbs and make sure they dont exceed your swithch… i have about 12 15w bulbs and it works fine.

Thanks for the response.
Here is the transformer I have
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Low-Voltage-45-Watt-Landscape-Transformer-SL-45-12A/206263345
It is a plug-in, to a regular 110V outlet.
I am using 5 of these LED lights, 4.5W (20W equivalent)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Low-Voltage-20-Watt-Equivalent-Black-Outdoor-Integrated-LED-Landscape-Flood-Light-IWH1501LS-2/206265501

Thank you Larry,
I’ll only have 5-6 LED lights, and they add up to not even 30W. That z-wave plug in switch can take at least 600W:
“600 watts (Incandescent); 1800W (15A) Resistive or ½ HP Motor.”

I don’t know about that setting on the lights. Is there a name for that setting?
I don’t think these lights that I have have any setting on them.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Low-Voltage-20-Watt-Equivalent-Black-Outdoor-Integrated-LED-Landscape-Flood-Light-IWH1501LS-2/206265501

Its not the lights that have the setting, its the box that plugs into the outlet

Does that transformer even turn on automatically when it is powered? It looks like you have to set it up when you plug it in.

Thanks Ryan,
Yes, I think it does. Someone on that product page asked if there is a function to leave this turned on at all times, powered on by a master circuit. There is apparently a manual on/off mode that will allow that.

Hi did you ever get the smart outlet to work with the transformer? I tried plugging my hampton bay transformer into a wifi socket and keeping the transformer set to manual on but when i turn the plug on and off the transformer seems to reset and the lights dont go back on again. Is there a different setting or something i nees to bypass on the transformer to keep it a constant on? Thanks!

Yes, I got it working.
I made sure the photo cell is covered, and didn’t do anything else on the transformer. Didn’t even set the time on it.
I made sure I was first able to control the smart plug-in switch with my phone. Then plugged in the transformer. That was it.

Thanks. I will have to try it again. I dont have the photo cell connected. Mine is located in the basement. I usually have it set on programmed time on and off. It seemed like once i switched the plug off and it turned off the transformer, when it turned back on the transformer didnt respond. :thinking:

1 Like

I too have a Hampton bay transformer (I’ve automated much of my home already) & am trying the GE outdoor outlet to control the transformer with ST…I can’t get it to stay on in the manual function to be controlled by the outlet. Did you have success if so please tell me how to setup the transformer.[quote=“zvezdast, post:1, topic:138217, full:true”]
I plan to install 45W transformer for low voltage landscape lighting inside the garage. Just 5 spot lights and 1 transformer. I don’t want the transformer outside, as I don’t like to see that ugly box. I will not use its photo cell, but would like to control when it turns on and off.

Instead of programming the transformer, I am thinking I could leave it on ON all the time but connect it to a smart outlet. That way I can program on my phone when the lights turn on/off, and not have to adjust the program on the transformer for different sunset times of the year.

Can I connect transformer for low voltage landscape lighting to any z wave smart outlet?
Is it just a regular smart outlet I would use for anything in the house, or does it need to be ‘special’ because it connects to this transformer?
Does it have to be GSI outlet if it’s in the garage?
Is it an issue that the power to the transformer is just turned on/off like that every day? I am thinking I wouldn’t want my computer loosing power every day, so maybe it’s not good for the transformer either.

Or can I use Plug-In Smart Switch like this one?

[/quote]

Sorry you are having trouble.
I just covered the photo cell and really didn’t do anything else on the transformer. Didn’t even set the time on it.

Maybe first make sure it stays on if you plug it in directly to the wall outlet, without smart switch. And do that during the day, to confirm photo cell is not active. At what point does it switch from manual to something else. Based on that time, check if there is a program you had before that is maybe triggering it. If you have any programs, delete them all. Or if it’s at sunset/sunrise check the photo cell.

I havent gotten mine to work yet. I think i need to go and erase any prior programming schedules i have and try it then.

Did you ever figure this out. I’m having exact same problem.

Use the Timed On/Off mode instead of Manual mode. Set Timed On to 12:00AM and Timed Off to 11:59PM, i.e. ON all day. Now you should be able to use your smart outlet to control.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly for me when everything else failed.