Trane Thermostat - tzemt400ab32maa

It is doing the same thing. I replaced “delay” with 30000 on both lines and saved/published.

Crapola… Ok, I thought that would be too simple. Back to the drawing board…brb…

Ok, so just to confirm I am doing this right. I added the device type “from code” then I excluded, re-included the thermostat. It picked it up as Z-Wave thermostat. Then I went into the device and edited the type to be the Thermostat V4 device profile. I load up the thermostat on the App and it shows no temperatures now at all. Did I miss something?

Technically you didn’t need to exclude and include again, but it never hurts. Hopefully by now your temperatures should show up.

This is what I still have

I am having the exact same issue with my Trane t-stat. Worked fine for a long time with a Vera controller but then stopped working after a firmware update on the Vera. I thought maybe it was the controller so I made the jump to a V2 with the same issue others are experiencing. I can see the current temp setting and control other functions, I just can’t change the temperature. I guess the only difference for me is that when I open up the app, my heat and cool sections show the current settings. Other than that my live log looks the same. I also tried changing delay to 30000 as well as changing the setpoints from 1000 to 100 with no changes.

I’m having this exact same issue on 3 different Trane t-stats, 2 separate models.

@kevinfwb, @mjt, and @kkniffin,

I tried to find as much documentation about your thermos as I could, and from what I can tell they should be using all standard zwave commands for basic functionality. So before throwing in the towel and using ST’'s default device type and asking for support, have you guys tapped on the Configure tile? If not, please try that, wait a few seconds and tap on the Refresh tile. Please let me know if that does anything.

Well, I think I got it working. I went into the maintenance settings and did another factory reset, and then deleted the device in ST. I re-added the t-start by selecting climate control, thermostats, RCS, and selecting the TZ45. After letting it configure I was able to adjust the temp using the factory app so I changed the handler to your code. After adding in your code everything still appears to be working as it’s supposed to.

The one issue that I have now, which may be expected, is that there is a delay and I have to wait for the app to update before I can adjust more than one degree at a time. If the current set temp is 78 and I want to change it to 75 I have to hit the down arrow, wait 5-10 seconds for it to update to 77 then hit down again and wait another 5-10 seconds for it to update to 76 etc. I’m not sure if this can be fixed but I can deal with it by setting up routines for certain temperatures.

Thanks for your help, it’s very much appreciated.

After a little bit of tinkering and watching the t-stat, it adjust almost immediately after pressing the button in the app. If I immediately hit the refresh button the new set temp is reflected in the app and I can then hit the arrow again without delay. If I don’t hit refresh and just hit up, up, up, the logs show that ST just keeps sending the same temp setting over and over. Is there a way to have the app do an instant refresh when sending a temperature change?

On another note, can you explain what setting the Fan Cycle to 10/50 does exactly and why it’s needed? Mine was defaulted to On 0 and Off 10 and I’ve never messed with it previously. If it matters any, I’m in Florida with an electric heat pump.

I am experiencing similar issues to what @kevinfwb is. I excluded the Thermostat from ST, manually selected climate control, thermostats, RCS, TZ45 and re-added. Initially the stock ST device shows nothing, so I hit refresh/reconfigure and the values populate in. I then go and change the device type to the one provided by @johnconstantelo and the values now show but they are “frozen” so to speak. Going to the device and manually changing the thermostat temperature and then attempting to do a refresh/reconfigure in the APP reflects no changes. If I hit the down arrow on the temperature selector however I can see that the commands are being sent and the temperature changes by 1 degree. Same issue though as @kevinfwb is that it will only move 1 degree and that is it. Doing a refresh/reconfigure however has no affect on the app actually changing to register the real-time information. Tried a few others like auto/cold and those work as well as far as actually sending the signal to the unit however nothing on the APP actually changes to reflect this. Funny thing is if I switch back to the stock device type I can change the values on the unit physically and then do a refresh and the changes reflect on the APP.

There is a delay in the code that my app inherited when I used ST default device type as the basis for mine. I assume ST put it in there to allow enough time between the user’s request to change the temp in the app, to the device, the device to process it, change the setting, and then return a command to the app confirming the change. That delay can be tweaked manually in the code to see if you can make it work to your liking, but I just kept the default values ST designed into the original.

There is a GET command right after the SET for the temperature adjustment with a 1 second delay, which is basically what the refresh/poll does. If you wait just a couple seconds after changing the temp the app should refresh. I suppose you could modify the device type to call the Poll/Refresh section right after setting the temp, but that’s a lot of messages to be sending.

That’s because the app (the device actually) still thinks it hasn’t changed yet.

For the Evolve thermos, 10/50 for fan cycler mode means run for 10 minutes and stay off for 50 minutes. in your case 0 for run meant do not run, while 10 was to stay off for 10 minutes (did nothing basically). If you change the 0 to any number, that’s how long the fan would run, and then stop for 10 before running again.

Personally I like running the fan to keep from having stagnant air in the house. In Florida, that could be an important thing to do to balance humidity levels when ever the AC isn’t running.

Is this still happening for you @kkniffin?

Hope you don’t mind me joining in on this… Would your custom device type code work with the Trane XL824/ XL850 as well? It uses Nexia but I’d rather consolidate everything into one app instead of having multiple apps. Thanks!

Hi @BobbyTacos, no worries! That’s a wifi thermo so unfortunately this device type won’t work. There are other wifi thermo devices in the community that could be used depending upon the API. I did a quick search, but it seems that nobody has your type of thermo set up in ST yet.

Ahh bummer. I know it’s z-wave as well and I’ve got it talking to smartthings but it’s just seeing it as a hub right now.

Yes, I am still having issues with the device not refreshing and not being able to adjust over a degree. Seems when I use the template all the settings remain locked and never refresh. If I go back to the default template it works, but again I am back to not being able to adjust the temperature and it going to 1 degree or 2 degrees.

@johnconstantelo Instead of doing repeated SET/GET commands 1 degree at a time is it possible to delay the SET until 2 seconds of adjustments and send the single SET of the final temp?

Example changing from 80 to 77. SET/GET 79, 78, 77 can it be set up to hit down 3 times and then the app send a single SET to 77? I hope that made sense.

-Kevin

@kevinfwb, That’s a great question, but it would require a fair amount of development. That’s where a slider does come in handy when you want a change beyond 1 degree. Also, a text input field would be handy so you can just type in your desired setting. Technically you could define something in Preferences, but who wants to have to Edit the device each time…

@kevinfwb I was poking around with ideas for trying to accommodate your requirements for quickly setting temps (via a slider), and requirements by others for incremental 1 degree adjustments (buttons). This looks kind of busy, but I could get use to it: