Toilet fan on after motion continues for 1 min?

I want to have a ST motion sensor turn on the bathroom fan switch only if it detects the motion in the bathroom for more than 1 minute. And not turn it on if the motion duration is less then a minute.

I have it set as a basic automation to turn on after the sensor detects motion (motion continues for 1 minute). But the way it works is the switch will be turned on after a minute from the time it detects motion regardless it the motion was just for 10 seconds.

Smart Lightning smart app doesn’t have an option for “if the motion continues for 1 or more minutes”.

How do I achieve what I want?
Thanks

checkout webCoRE…

1 Like

What motion sensor are you using? Some of them have a “blind” time longer than a minute. So every motion event will be longer than a minute.

1 Like

The newest samsung SmartThings motion sensor. Let’s say 2 minutes. I’m interested for the process, not the exact time.
The purpose: when going to the toilet for #1 or just entering shortly, no need for fart fan to turn on. But need it to turn on when using the toilet for #2.

As an aside… I’m mildly curious what is occurring during said #2 that would keep a motion sensor active for several minutes…? :thinking:

Taking a shit, then wiping your butt.

1 Like

Hi @SeCeRatOr! Welcome to the community! Your use case is a little bit tricky, In what you are describing, the motion sensor will be active then as you are sitting still will detect no motion, and then will get active again when you move one more time. This behavior might be hard to describe in an automation rule.
Thinking out loud, maybe you can use for example a virtual switch to turn on when someone enters, that automatically goes off 2 minutes later. The second time motion is detected you can check if the switch is on, that would mean probably that person was inside for that period of time.
If you have some coding experience I recommend you to check the Rules API, that might help you to achieve this kind of automations.
Let me know what you think about this!

Let’s say I move every other 10 seconds… That motion sensor is right in the back of the toilet. So I don’t think a person sits really still. Regardless if this is a toilet or something else. Let’s say an outdoor light. Maybe I don’t want it to turn on if a bird flies right in front of the motion sensor. I want it to turn on if the motion continued for at least 10 seconds. I can see this useful in a front driveway motion sensor too.

In the ST app, for the ST motion sensors, when I create a basic automation like this:
IF Motion sensor: Motion detected
Motion duration: ON (explanation below it says: Choose how long the motion needs to continue before this automation is activated)
1 Min

That is exactly what I need, but it does not work that way. I need to motion to CONTINUE for 1 min before this automation would trigger.
The way it works: Motion detected even for a second, then no more motion, but the automation is activated after 1 min.

So either the description is wrong, or it does not work the way it was intended. In this case description should say: Choose the delay after the motion detection until the automation would trigger. (or something similar)

That’s just not the way these motion sensors work. They aren’t actually detecting motion. Instead, they are detecting changes in heat as it passes across the lens of the sensor. (That’s what PIR means: passive infrared)

In order to preserve battery life, the motion sensor sleeps most of the time. It wakes up to check if motion is occurring, and if so, it reports that motion was observed. Then it goes back to sleep. It’s not reporting continuously so it can’t track continuous motion as you describe it.

some motion sensors, like the fibaro, allow you to set a very short interval reporting time, maybe even as low as one second, which will eat up batteries very quickly. It’s still not giving you continuous motion, though. It’s just checking more frequently.

The only devices I know which would integrate easily with smart things to give you a continuous motion check are cameras, and I don’t think you want that in the bathroom.

So I suggest you rethink what it is that you will be measuring. Instead of continuous motion, think about two events that might take place at a longer time interval. (While we’re talking about this, I think we may also need to consider which genders will be using the bathroom and their ages. Maybe it doesn’t matter since this is just a fan coming on, but it is something to consider. Or maybe you’re just designing this for a single person household, in which case you could just make it fit that person’s Use patterns.)

OK, back to the original thought. Can you put a second motion sensor somewhat hidden over by the sink so that it will not catch motion until the person is standing in front of the sink? Then you could set up a rule based on the amount of time between the two sensors reporting.

1 Like

I understand about the continuous motion. So in this case, I would want:Turn on the fan switch If the same motion sensor detect motion in the interval 1min to 10 min after the first motion detection, but not earlier.
Or if a secondary sensor hidden by the sink does not detect detect motion after 1 min from the first motion of the sensor by the toilet, then turn on the fan switch.

OK, you can’t do either of those with the smartthings brand sensor because it’s got a three minute cool down period. And it’s not adjustable.

You could do either of them with the Fibaro sensors and WebCore, but the Fibaro sensors cost a lot more so I don’t know if it’s worth it.

1 Like

@SeCeRatOr I have an automation in my bathroom for the fan that is very close to what you’re trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, I have this implemented on Hubitat, not SmartThings. However, I am certain you could achieve your desired goals using webCoRE. The webCoRE community forum would be a great place to get the exact help you need to achieve this.

In Hubitat, using Rule Machine, here is how my rule is written (in an older version of RM). If the motion detector senses motion continuously for at least 70 seconds, the shower fan turns on. After motion goes inactive for 4 minutes, the fan turns off. I use Iris v2 Motion sensors throughout my house. They report motion inactive after 30 seconds of inactivity.

I am certain webCoRE could handle this as well for SmartThings.

This is my webCoRE Piston that I use in all of my bathrooms. It controls the light and fan based on occupancy and time of day. Feel free to import it.

You need a contact on the door for it to really work.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m new to this, but I already have a bunch of devices. I just learned about https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/ and ordered a bunch more of zooz devices as they are cheaper than amazon (they also have a sale now). Between the new ordered items is one of their motion sensors that seems to have an adjustable re-trigger interval. I will have to do some learning about webCoRE.

2 Likes

Thanks. This looks interesting. But this is a master bathroom which has it’s door almost always open towards the bedroom. And that’s the main reason I want to automate it. It might sound funny to some. But sometimes you plan to use the toiled for #1, so you sit on the toiled, and realize you also want #2, but you did not turn on the fan when you entered the bathroom and also din not close the door. And you don’t want to yell at the Alexa in the bedroom to turn on the fan, and you also you don’t want to get up to turn the fan manually. :grinning:

Now that I’m thinking… there might be a simpler solution… just use some type of smart button next to the toilet seat…

1 Like

Zooz is the house brand for The Smartest House. Excellent features, very good prices. (I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.)

They also have staff Who participate in this forum if you ever have any questions. :sunglasses:
@TheSmartestHouse

1 Like

FAQ (The topic title is a clickable link)

Did not know that. I found out about them on this forum while looking for a solution on my toilet project. I already contacted their customer support in the past with some questions when I got my first zooz outdoor sensor from amazon. Was happy with their on time response. So far that sensor works fine outside uncovered for about 3 months now. Today I ordered:
|ZEN30|Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Double Switch ZEN30 - 1
|ZSE19|Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 MultiSiren ZSE19 - 1
|ZSE40-VER2|Zooz Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor - 1
|ZSE29|Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Outdoor Motion Sensor VER. 2.0 (Battery or USB Power) - NEW - 2
|ZEN27-VER2|Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 Dimmer Switch ZEN27 VER. 2.0 (White) with Simple Direct 3-Way & 4-Way - 2
|ZEN31|Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 RGBW Dimmer for LED Strips - 2

I mostly have WeMo switches and one WeMo dimmer that can’t control vs ST, then ST motion and door sensors. Plan to add a water leak sensor and a valve shut off z-wave controller.

1 Like

Yeah, I have buttons all over the place for stuff like that. I like the Xiaomi buttons but they are tricky to pair. However, once paired they work great. Going on 2 years and battery is still at 98%!

Just brainstorming here. But how about a water leak sensor attached to the upper inside rim of the toilet bowl. It could set off the bathroom fan with a flush :slight_smile:

You may never want to touch the sensor again though…